Job Offer - LMIA requirements

If I find a job in Canada, does the employer still need to go through the LIMA process?
I guess it is waived currently, but some forums still say, that getting a job offer in Canada without a PR or work permit (in my case living in the USA) is not easy, as the companies have to justify that they are not able to find local talents and hence going out of Canada to recruit talent, which is a tough process.

Can you please shed some light on this please?

---- Update ---- @anon25417004 Do you have any update on the above?

http://www.immigration.ca/updated-canadas-global-talent-stream-need-know/ is an interesting writeup on the global talent stream. If I’m not mistaken, the talent partnerships try and connects people with companies that are interested in hiring via this stream.

My current understanding is that if you get a job and get hired via this stream, you could apply a year down for PR, and you would have the benefit of having had one year of Canadian work experience.

In terms of getting a job offer in Canada without a PR/work permit - I think the biggest challenge tends to be that on a typical portal, you’d reply that you are not authorized to work in Canada ( which is true at that moment ), which can cause blanket rejections. If you do manage to finish a full interview loop and get a job, I think the company is highly likely to have a way to get you to Canada either by doing an LMIA, or by using the newly available global talent stream.

I’ve written about this before (I’ll try and dig it up) unlike the US, traditionally Canadian companies were not equipped to handle work visa candidates. Even the process to get the work visa was more involved than say getting an H1B (which has its own issues now) I would say unless your bringing something exceptional to the table or already have connections its hard for someone with no status to get a job with a Canadian company from outside Canada.

For Tech what changed is that the government wanted to give them every advantage and decided that giving them the ability to quickly hire foreign talent is in the interest of Canada. This resulted in the GTS process where work visas are issues in less than 2 weeks.

I was invited to the launch of GTS by the MaRS the largest Toronto tech incubator and that is where I connected with Globalskills. I already knew from the tens of emails I answer daily from people asking about Canadian PR that jobs were on everyones mind. So it made sense to add them to the Movnorth site. Since GTS is new tech companies are offloading all the talent hunting and GTS paperwork to Globalskills this way they only focus on checking if the candidate is a match for them.

Getting a Canadian Job means you can either claim points fo a year of Canadian experience or immediately for having a Canadian job. The points you get vary (including between management and individual contributor) for these options.

https://movnorth.com/get-introduced-to-toronto-tech/

Hi folks, still not clear if a company needs to satisfy LMIA requirements?

If my company has a branch in Canada, what is it that I need from them. I think

1. Offer letter
  2. LMIA?

This is what I see on the website To get points from the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer in Express Entry, your employer will usually need to get a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

Take a look at this "Qualified intra-company transferees require work permits and are exempted from the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) " there are certain conditions that have to be met in terms of the company and Canada and you and the company. Also there is there are certain positions like managers and specialized knowledge workers that qualify.

While this should be fine an alternative is If you’re in tech your company could use GTS to bring you in while an LMIA would be needed under GTS (only certain tech NOC’s) it would be issues under 2 weeks.

International Mobility Prog: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Intra-company transferees [R205(a)] (exemption code C12)

My Wife is now in H4 Visa in US with me and her previous manager is ready to give a job offer to work for a Canadian client considering her skills and experience ( she has more than 6 years of experience and in H4 since 2016 Dec ) in a niche technology which is rare in Canada. Its an MNC with multiple clients in Canada.So what are the steps they should follow to hire her ? I have read that a job posting should be done in a job portal for a month and do LMIA before hiring a foreign skilled worker. Could anyone please throw some light on this

I think the LMIA should come from the employer in Canada. If the client is in Canada but the employer isn’t I’m not sure how that works.

I would recommend file for a work permit which will be quicker, start working there and then apply for PR.

I have received a Job offer in Toronto from a Startup. Do I need to tell them about Global Skill Strategy program under category B? Sounds like it is a good option to sponsor me the work permit

My job role is NOC A and the title is under Global Talent stream which is Information technology consultant. So, assuming that I am eligible under Global skill strategy.

Your inputs would be appreciated.

Yes tell them about it they may not know. Also check processing times for work permits and tell them to file accordingly.

My company is willing to process a work permit by intracompany transfer. Can i showcase this as a job offer in my PR application?

You need anLMIA approved job offer , which has one extra step . I think the employer has to be in canada for it .

Take a look at this post above:

One company processed my GTS application (June 16 2020) to immigration. usually processing time is 14 days.

Still they not getting any response from immigration.

How may days it will take to process my GTS application from immigration side.