Landing to move permanently during COVID-19 with expired COPR+PR Visa

@namangupta a bit off topic but did you automatically get an extension or did you send a webform to IRCC telling them that you are ready to move?

@ameha - i received an email from IRCC asking for my plans to move (my copr was approved before March 18). I am planning to move asap to start a new job and they updated my application status with a new visa number. However, not received any communication on next steps yet.

1 Like

@namangupta Thanks. My COPR was also approved before March 18 2020 but I haven’t received any such email. Should I get in touch with them or are they sending emails periodically?

@ameha - you should reach out to them. I received an email on Dec 24 asking for details on my plan to move to Canada.

2 Likes

You can reach out to IRCC by phone and ask them if you need to send your passport. In my case it took around 2 weeks from delivery to dispatch of passport.

Also from a recent case I heard that they are sending out travel authorization letter instead of asking for passport

Received an email last week saying i can travel with the travel authorization. No re-stamping needed.

Hello,

Thanks for your updates. Please know that people like me who’re waiting for progress greatly appreciate your input. I’m in the same boat that you were perhaps a month ago.

Can you help me with the following questions. My family is stuck in India and I’m in the US. I want to move to Canada immediately so I can call them over. In case you are wondering, my CoPR was issue prior to March 18, 2020 and it expired back in May, 2020.

1. When did you raise the web form to inform IRCC that you would like to move to Canada?
  2. What documents/plans did you share with them with the web form?
  3. Did you also submit something related to a job in Canada?
  4. Have you been interviewing with Canadian employers?

Again, your help is greatly appreciated. Good luck with your own process!

1. When did you raise the web form to inform IRCC that you would like to move to Canada?
    I did not. They reached out to me on Dec 24.
  2. What documents/plans did you share with them with the web form?
    Offer letter, airbnb reservation
  3. Did you also submit something related to a job in Canada?
    Yes offer letter with a start date of late Jan
  4. Have you been interviewing with Canadian employers?
    Yes
2 Likes

Hi Everyone,

I finally received an email (7 pt) from IRCC yesterday letting us know that our medicals have been extended till July 2021 and asking us to reply within 10 Days if we want to travel and move permanently to Canada before the expiry of the extended medical validity. The text of the email is the same as this post. We have responded with our answers yesterday and mentioned that we want to travel in the week of 5th April 2021. They have mentioned that IRCC will strive to respond with an authorization letter (which will be valid for 60 days) within 4 weeks after we respond. Hoping for a smooth process.

My timeline is :
COPR Issued : Feb 2020
COPR Expiry : Aug 2020
RTT Webforms : Two — Sept, Oct 2020
IRCC 7 pt Email Received : Feb 1, 2021
Category : FSW
VO : Ottawa

I have an update:
My response to IRCC 7 pt email : Feb 2, 2021
Authorization Letter (AL) Email from IRCC : Feb 4, 2021
COPR + PR Visa Extended to : July, 2021 (Counterfoil also updated in GCKey Account)
Expiry of AL : April 05, 2021.

We plan to travel to move permanently before the expiry of the AL.

I hope the timeline information is useful (as one datapoint) to those seeking it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Why is the authorization letter required? Also if it is getting expired before COPR validity then what is its purpose?

We got the “Are you ready to move soon” email with the 7 questions about two weeks ago. Our CoPR expired in July 2020. We responded to the email saying that we can travel in the month of June 2021
Today, we got the authorization letter email from IRCC asking us to travel by April 17, 2021. We are pretty bummed about it since we had explicitly mentioned in the original email response that we can only travel in June. In light of that, i had a few questions:

1. The email also says “If you are unable to travel before the expiration date of this letter on 2021/XX/XX, IRCC will leave your PR application open and you will have to go through this CoPR and PRV re-issuance process again when you are able to travel to Canada.” Any idea what this means? Would the PR application go back to pre-ITA status?
  2. Is there any way we can respond to this email again and re-iterate that we can only arrive in June. Or is there a different way to make that request?
  3. Anyone else possibly in the same boat?