Here are some important dates and information about my case at the outset.
- COPR Approval : Feb, 2020
- PR Visa Expiry : Aug, 2020
- Contacted IRCC via Webform that we cannot travel due to COVID-19 before expiry of documents : July, 2020.
Country and Status : In USA on H-1B status that is valid till 2022 or something ( )
- Last US visa stamp on passport F1 for me and H-1B for my spouse, both expired.
- Both of us have I-797A for our current H-1Bs.
- City we want to move to : Toronto, ON.
The response was the standard reassuring one to say let us know when you can travel again and we will tell you the next steps. No impact on PR decision, etc.
Now, the idea of not being able to travel to India easily for (heaven forbid) an emergency during this pandemic is stressful enough. But, without stamped US visas on our passports, we cannot do it without turning our lives upside down even more. This has accelerated our plan to move to Canada permanently.
- My partner has even got a relocation approval from their US employer (which has Canadian operations).
- I’m about to ask if I can work remotely at mine next week (no Canada operations) or I’m ready to quit even otherwise and take a short break.
What I need advice from this community is on is the following :
1. Has anyone moved permanently with COVID-19 restrictions?
We are planning to quarantine in an Airbnb for 14 days and continue to stay there for a month while we look for a house to rent.
2. We are planning on a start date of Canadian employment on Jan 1st. But, we want to move earlier in mid to late Nov and work on our H-1B visa while we quarantine, find a place and settle down through the month of December.
a. Has anyone done this before (regardless of COVID)?
b. What are the tax implications of this? Assuming we are still earning in USD for the time we are working on H-1B. (We are planning to contact our attorney and CPA also).
3. Do you think this will considered as essential travel?
Since we are planning to move to Canada permanently for personal reasons and not economical or because our US status is expiring. (Source : Traveling from the US Group 4)
Appreciate any input/anecdata from people who have experienced this (Question #1) or know someone who have.
"Fun" fact : We have not left the US since we last came back from a vacation in India in Dec 2016.
Primarily due to the increased H-1B stamping delays and rejections that we couldn’t get time for, away from work.