Looking for jobs in Canada from the US - post COPR

Hi All,

I just had my application/COPR approved. I am based in the US right now and had already been looking for jobs in Canada from here prior to approval, but no luck so far.

Other than the usual routes of referrals, it being a numbers game etc - was wondering if anyone had any tips specific to finding a job there from the US, from their experience. One thing I can think of is indicating on my resume that I have Canadian work authorization might help.

I am open to all major cities and my background is software Product Management. Ideally would love to land there with a job in hand or close to it.

Thanks!

Having ā€œPermanent Residentā€ status written on the resume definitely helps (at least here in Canada, based on my experience)! But wait till you actually land, in case interviewer asks for proof of PR.

Referrals are the best way to get a foot in the door here, unlike the US job market. But depending on your field, you should be able to get interview calls without referrals as well. LinkedIn premium, contacting HR persons on LinkedIn for your desirable workplace etc also helps.

3 Likes

Hi All,
Iā€™m following this post! Is there any updates sun?
Iā€™m looking for a data analyst position. Any piece of information will be helpful.

Thanks!

I got super lucky and landed a job before moving - got my foot in due to recommendations from a past boss to the hiring manager. Having PR did make it easier, but the ā€˜putting it on resumeā€™ thing didnā€™t really apply in my case.

Hi @avj : I am looking for job opportunities in Montreal, QC ( or remote jobs for any other location within Canada). I am not getting any response from Linkedin. So, wanted to reach out to this community for any tips or referrals?
I have 10+ years of IT experience ( 6 years in the US , 4 in India) working as a Data analyst, database developer using Oracle PL/SQL, SQL, Shell scripting.I have hands-on knowledge of ETL using MS SSIS, data warehouse, data analysis/BI using SQL.
I am a RPA (blue prism) certified developer. Currently, learning Python, Tableau, and Git. I am a Design thinking enthusiast and completed 1 years of an online course in Design Thinking from the University of Virginia, Darden business school.

In Canada referrals help a lot (e.g. you contact an employee in a company who refers you to the hiring manager; if you get the job that employee gets a referral bonus). You should not hesitate to connect with the HR, employees or managers in the company and get a conversation going (it goes without saying you need to be respectful and polite when you do so). Hiring process in Canada takes longer than the US, and during the pandemic a lot of companies have hiring freeze in place. But for software developers they are still hiring is what I have seen.

Hi Avj!

Regarding your comment on referrals. Do you think having only local referrals would help? I will be moving to Toronto in March and I know some friends in (FAANG/ Big4) companies but they are in the US though. Do you think there referrals would be helpful or should I try for folks working in Canadian office?

I see that your last response was a year ago. But I would really appreciate your help!

Thanks,
Sunidhi

Strongest referrals come from local (Canada) employees/managers who are recruiting for their own team, but if the US referee can connect with Canadian teams and forward you as a candidate that can also work. The goal is to land an interview.

1 Like

If you are looking for local teams, then may be thatā€™s true , but a lot of FB US teams are hiring in Canada for remote roles . I can refer if you would like to .

1 Like

Thank you so much for your response! I am currently in the field of data science. And work as a Sr. Consultant for a finance consulting firm. Got 3 years work experience and MS degree.

I will be moving on a closed work permit (Intra Company Transfer from Charlotte, NC to Toronto office). So I am not sure if I can switch jobs right away? I am expecting my PR to come in the next couple of months as well. So I would be utilizing this time to hone my technical skills and then request a referral if that makes sense? (I wouldnā€™t want a referral if I am not even eligible due to my work permit restrictions)

But happy to connect with you personally and get more idea about the job market at FB! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @PS1 emphasized text I am looking for a job in Canada, I have similar experience like you. Wondering if you were able to land a job in Canada? If yes, could you please give me any pointers on how to approach the employers?

Thanks!

@dmody9

Yes I was able to get job with one of big Indian IT companies - Genpact. I applied on all the portals and indeed.com. Someone from there HR team reached out to me and it worked for me.
Keep applying to all the job portals and also on indeed job app, please apply to relevant jobs - both full time vs contract. Idea is to get resume out so that it is picked by right person.

Recommendation helps but I did not have any contacts in Canada so I did not try that route.

Wish you all the best ā€¦

Thanks for the info. This gives me hope!
And, Thank You, for your quick response.

Pls share your resume. I can send it my network.