Physical move process


We have one month to physically move from Bay Area to Toronto. I have a number of questions for the folks in the forum - so even if you can answer some of these, please do so:

  1. Did you dispose off your furniture and other belongings? (or) did you ship them? If you shipped, how much did it cost (we live in a 3BR house and will have adequate stuff to load onto a big truck)? Any recommendations on a good and reasonably priced movers in the bay area?
  2. Did you ship your car(s) or drive over?
  3. Is it better to rent or sell the house (1960s house) in the bay area. If you rented it initially and decided after a year to sell it, do you have to pay taxes on profits?
  4. For daycare services, is it easy to find a daycare or is there a waitlist like in the bay area? How much does it cost for a 2-year old toddler per month?


We moved from the bay area (near Cupertino) to Toronto late last year. So the moving experience is still pretty fresh in our memory :slight_smile:

  1. Disposed off all furniture, tv etc. We sold some on craigslist, gave some stuff to neighbours and put the rest in trash. The stuff we moved was mostly clothes, books, kitchen stuff, etc we packed that in several Fedex boxes and mailed it over. As for movers we didn’t use any but some of our friends who moved from Palo Alto did I can check with them tomorrow.

  2. I has a auto moving company transport my car over. I was still making payments on the car so that needed a bit of paper work. Happy to provide further details if you plan to go this route.

  3. Thats a very hard question to answer. Since its the bay area I’m assuming you would at the least not make a loss. But would possibly require you to pay US taxes. When moving to Canada as far I understand the CRA assumes you have sold everything you own and bought it back on the day you arrive so all capital gains are only against the price movement from the day you arrived everything before is not taxed. I’m not an accountant or a lawyer so please do your own research about this. Personally I would just rent it.

  4. There are many options here for child care. You can try and get on government subsidized childcare, private childcare or get a nanny all these options are pretty affordable if your used to paying bay area prices.


Thanks Vikram! Great suggestions - super-helpful. The biggest asset that we have to take care of is the house where we have lived for more than 2 years, so technically we should not be taxed on capital gains if we sell it now. However, if we had to rent it now (due to lack of time to sell) and then come back to US on say, visitor visa after 1 year and then sell it, I was not sure if we will be taxed by US as we may not be considered ‘residents’ of US then. Will check with accountant as well. :slight_smile: