Planning to move to Canada after resigning my job on H1B

Hi - I have resigned from my current job on H1B due to unforeseen circumstances and now planning to complete my landing and move permanently in Canada. My last day on H1B will be end of February. My question is should I complete my landing before my last of work and move ? Or should stay in US for few more weeks in March and then move. This will give me little more time to plan everything. We are family of 3 with a 3 year old son and looking to move in Kitchener area.

You legally have 30 days of grace period (I think) to leave after the end of your H1 status. But my recommendation is that you file for an change of status from H1 to B1/B2 immediately (this must be done before your H1B expires after it has expired you don’t have a valid status and therefore can’t request a change), the benefit of doing this is that as soon as your application is received by the USCIS you will not accrue any days of illegal stay (that happens only if they deny your application and only starts after the denial). This should give you adequate time to wrap up your affairs and move for good.

There is no need to do a soft landing hastily and then move in a few weeks, I think it’s better to just move in one go comfortably.

All the best for your move to Canada.

1 Like

Thanks for your advice. I checked with my immigration lawyer today and she mentioned I can stay in US for 60 days after the termination. I might not use all of it and will plan to move in March as soon as possible. Do you think I should still go for change of status and become a visitor in a country where I have been living for many years?

This is good info as I wasn’t aware I could do this. I am moving to GTA next month and I also wanted B1/B2 visa to continue visiting the US.

Just to clarify, once I decide to leave my job in the US (from H1B), all I need to do is file for change of status ? No need to resubmit ds160 and apply for a new B1/B2 visa?

And if so, when’s a good time to file for change of status - After one submits their resignation notice?

Change of status is not the same as a B1/B2 visa that you can use to continue to visit the US.
There is no need for a DS-160 or application for a B1/B2 visa to file for change of status.

A good time to file for change of status is a couple of weeks before your H1 status is ending.

If you have access to an immigration lawyer, I think you can simply follow their direction and there probably is no need to file for a change of status.

Thanks for sharing good information. I believe filing for change of status to B2 visitor is better option instead of just using grace period. By filing COS I can stay in US legally. I can even travel in USA for some time and then plan to move to Canada comfortably as long as my i94 is still valid. Is there any WhatsApp group anyone can join to get more information about moving in Canada and connect with people in the area?

I believe, change of status is no where related to B1/B2 visa requirement when entering US. You would still have to apply for B1/B2 separately.