PR and insurance for child

Hello everyone - Thank you for valuable information in the forum. My husband and I recently moved to Toronto. I believe the below might already be asked and answered previously. Would greatly appreciate any pointers / references. Thank you in advance.

  1. How can I extend child’s visitor visa (us citizen) ?
  2. When can I apply for child’s PR i.e., do we wait for 1 year ?
  3. At what stage can a child be covered in OHIP, or do i use a private insurance always ? any chance child can be covered with OHIP with parents ?

Thank you.

Why did you not include child in your PR application when it was pending?

or your PR was already activated by soft landing and then after that you had the child?

Ideally you made it difficult if you had the child before your landing and still did not add him or her to your PR application even if it was approved but not landed yet.

This link will help

You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you are included under one of the following categories:

  • you are a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, landed immigrant or are registered as an Indian under the Indian Act;
  • you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada;

Thanks for the reply. We would have added our child, but our PR happened earlier. So, now we are exploring options to give her PR and insurance.

Thank you for this link. Appreciate the inputs. I wil go over this.

This is not totally correct…
You don’t need to move to Canada to make child PR…

You can still add your kid to your PR application even if it was approved already and you have not landed yet…
You have to inform cic and they will modify your application and will ask you to go for medicals again with your new child…

This is best if you want to move with child as pr already and you are not in hurry to move to Canada…

Otherwise, if you want to move to canada first with child on visitor visa then thats fine too but you have to sponsor him or her later…

Thanks for the details. Since we are already here, we are working on applying now. Hence, looking for guidance and key elements of the process. I am referencing the link shared by other community member above, would be helpful if you have any additional pointers or guidance. Thanks in advance.