My initial PR application was submitted in Jan 2019. I got married in May 2019 and submitted required documents for my spouse in Aug 2019. Please help me with the following questions.
- My medical is valid till Jan 2020 and my wife’s medical is valid till Aug 2020. If PR application is approved, what will be the validity of COPR? Will it be till Jan 2020 or Aug 2020? Or will both will have different COPR expiry date?
- My wife may not be able to travel abroad post Feb 2020. Recently when I reached out CIC regarding this, they advised me it’s not mandatory for the dependent spouse to accompany with the principal application while I seek appointment to confirm PR status. Is there any risk in travelling alone to complete landing process?
- Let’s say If I travel alone for PR stamping, Is there any deadline (like one year from medical) for my spouse to obtain PR?
Thanks in advance for your help.
I had a similar situation. There’s nothing to worry about.
- Your medicals and COPR expiry will most likely get extended to match your spouse. Just follow the instructions and wait for the updated COPR from CIC before making travel plans. In some cases they may require you to retake the medical exam.
- You, as the principle applicant, need to land first. Your wife can either accompany you or land any no of days after you.
- The deadline will be whatever date that is specified on her COPR/immigrant visa.
Thank you for response. One last question. What will happen if she is not able to make it before the COPR expiry date? I am in process of applying for H4 to F1 change of status for my wife, she may not be able to travel abroad post Feb/March 2020 for few years. Please advice
My guess is that she will have to go through another process (like spousal sponsorship) if she misses the COPR deadline. Check with CIC though, they may be able to extend the date under extenuating circumstances. They might be able to advise you on other options as well.
Check with an immigration attorney in the US for your options. AVR might work for your wife.
See this post: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-process-used-avr-with-no-stamped-h1b-and-change-of-status-for-family.15083/
[this is from a H1B, but should be a similar process for F1]
@ak45 I was not thinking of AVR option. This may work. Thank you so much. Appreciate it.