Private Insurance in lieu of OHIP

Any recommendations for private insurance that we can purchase while we wait for OHIP to kick in?

Or unlike the states is being without insurance not a major risk? I have just three weeks to wait.

I took manulife travel insurance for our 3 month wait period. Just curious, did you have another form of medical coverage for the prior months?

Thanks. Will check it out.

If you don’t mind me asking, did you have a need to file a claim with Manulife? How was the experience? I’m thinking of getting a add-on for dental with OHIP.

Braved a few days without coverage, got one through my spouse’s employer after that but will have to figure out other options for the last few days.

Got Manulife PPR (provincial plan replacement) coverage from my employer which has OHIP liek coverage for first 90 days until OHIP kicks in.
Have made couple of claims, 1st has been approved and second one is under process. Happy with Manulife.

1 Like

@ak45 did you find an Insurance provider that you suggest? (I’m looking to get one, but trying to get Manulife directly seems to be tricky online). I’m not sure which ones are total replacement of OHIP and which ones are extending an existing OHIP coverage.

OHIP + Great-West Life (Thru employer)
Check with your employer or your spouse’s employer first, they may have something good for you.

1 Like

I’m contracting and wife is not working yet. So looking to get something direct. I’m not sure which ones are equivalent to ohip.

Any suggestions for insurance agents for these? Or does everyone buy it online ?

Hi @ak45 is the Great West life through your employer an add on for OHIP? Or does it stand on its own and can use instead of OHIP?

Look at @usa2can’s post in this thread. I believe that answers your question. You need a Provincial Replacement Coverage plan and not just a supplemental plan.

Talk to someone from the Canadian HR side and they’re going to be able to help you navigate this. It is pretty common especially for Employees new to Canada.

I can also vouch for Manulife, I had the coverage for my child for a few months as he wasn’t a PR when we moved. At first Manulife had denied our claim but we reached out to Customer Service and explained that we had Provincial Replacement Coverage and they verified and corrected the error on their end. But I expect the coverage to be the same regardless of the provider when you go through your employer. The one benefit of going through your employer is that the premiums are pretty reasonable, I think it was $99 for 3 months of coverage or around that and buying privately is going to be significantly more expensive.

1 Like

+1 to panditji. The plan I had with great life was just an addon (Dental, Vision, etc.) and not a replacement for OHIP. OHIP covers a lot more - ER visits, critical medication, surgery, etc. You need a private plan to replace OHIP in the interim.

Ok, thanks a bunch @panditji and @ak45 !