Reference Letter from Current Employer -Pointers on how to get one

Hello everyone,

I got my ITA 2 weeks back and I am trying to collect reference letters from my current and previous employers.
I don’t know how to approach the current employer for a reference letter coz I started working here only from past few months.
I did not want anyone in my current company to know that I am applying for a PR in Canada. But looks like there is no choice other than talking about this to my manager and HR.
Will this in any way portray that I have the intent to leave this company sometime in the future?
I am writing here to ask for some pointers on how to approach my current manager for a reference letter.

Thanks,
Nikitha

@nikithav24 You could mention the higher rate of visa denials and the current immigration climate under Trump and mention Canada as a backup option. Also that, if things go south, you would still want to work for the company remotely from Canada.

Others have asked similar questions in other threads so you might be able to get pointers if you search through the forum. Some of these threads are:

Thanks @th1ru. Yes I think that is the only valid reason I can give.
Thanks @mrandmrs … I will go through these and update the post if I have questions.

Can I have just my job duties, and current status in the reference letter ?

As other information like number of work hours per week are included in the salary slip, annual salary in the job offer.

Asking all the above information from the HR in one letter will be too much I think

It’s better that you get all details the first time if possible from the HR rather than waiting for CIC to reject your letters and requesting them again from HR. As long as HR is willing to give these details you should get it:

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:

• a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).