Community

Reflection on 'Moving to Canada' decision

Thank you @spai. Your prompt response is much appreciated.

After our soft landing, we dragged our feet for almost a year before making the final move to Canada. A year later, despite some of the well known drawbacks (high COL, taxes, compared to pay etc), I think it’d have been better (in our case) to move asap after soft landing (glad that we didn’t bother much of 386/1044/140 dates).

So I can certainly understand the reason for hesitation :slight_smile:

As for your questions:

1. IIRC, it is 5 years from your first landing
  2. Yes, you can enter Canada as long as your PR card is valid.
    I read somewhere that the 730 days in last 5 years requirement is to renew the card. So entering on last day of validity and then staying for 730 days may be possible. You may want to confirm this with a lawyer or a registered immigration consultant.
  3. Not sure
  4. Kubeir Kamal is quite popular, but I’ve no experience with their service.
1 Like

Thanks you @ntn

1. Check if you have been (or will be) present in Canada for 730 days in the five years preceding September 2021 or December 2021 or another date- if yes then you keep your PR status.
  1. If you don’t meet your PR residency obligation and you travel to Canada with a valid PR card, I guess your entry will be at the discretion of the border officer.

2. Probably not.

3. No recommendation.

Good luck with 2016 PD.

1 Like

Doesn’t hurt to apply for EAD if company is paying for it. If you already have Canada PR you can only stay outside Canada for 2-3 years before you need to move here or risk losing PR. If you’ve not yet applied for PR it gives you more time and security in the US (note that CRS score is age-dependent so there’s that).

It appears 386 / 1044 has gone away again. And the dates of filing has gone back to Jan 2014… i’m kind of in the same boat but not sure if there’s much movement anymore at this point …

I completely understand the hesitation and the inertia to move.Have you considered other options of coming back to US from Canada like the TN visa, consular processing or plain old H1b?

1. It is 5 years from date of landing.
  2. You may not be able to renew your PR if you don’t meet the residency requirements.
  3. Nope. I am in the same boat and checked with a lawyer about that and she said that since PR holders are allowed to travel from USA during covid-19 restrictions, that reason won’t stand. She said they haven’t been lenient and it is on a case by case basis only for people with extenuating circumstances.
  4. I did a phone consultation with a lawyer from myvisasource.com for a small fee, but that was the extent of my interaction with them.

As I contemplate moving this is one of the most difficult thing to answer - will the new admin do anything to help us? Biden says he’ll get rid of country caps and it almost happened with s386.

I am in a similar situation, I finished my landing and still living in USA. My pr card expires in jan 2024, and I have until jan 2022 to move to canada inorder to satisfy the 730 days condition to qualify for renewal. My usa EB2 PD is 2014 April . I am planning to get a job in detroit and see if I can live in windsor and work in detroit , knock on wood, and gods grace , peace