Reflection on 'Moving to Canada' decision

@Niv01 yes, it is here, enjoy!

1 Like

Thank you so much. You seem like you genuinely care about people. Also, thank you for the blog, very helpful details.

@rangarajanm We are planning to move to Oakville as well. can you suggest which internet service is good and economical here. I did my research and seems that the property I am going to be has support for cable internet and Cogeco is what they are using. But that is very costly. Do you have any idea about carrynet or Cik. Please share your thoughts.

I just visited your blogpost and have a question about the phone plans
You mentioned to keep USphone plan if possible. Would there be any problem if we apply for stuff namely - SIN/ driver license / bank account /credit card / utilities/ job) using USA number?

I am planning to keep my USA number mainly because of bank and credit card. And planned to get a Canada number but if they accept USA number in Canada then I can have one less phone Bill to pay.

Hi. I have no idea about other ones. I have Cogeco 1 Gig fiber. It’s expensive but the service is good.

Hi Junz,

I’ve been using my USA number and actually still using it after one year. Never had any problem with using the US number in most places. We purchased property, did banking, any serious legal or banking or other important matter they will happily take US numbers. The only problems are: restaurants are suspicious when they see your number and you have to tell them you are local. Some people (individuals, rarely businesses) don’t have ability to call US numbers back.

1 Like

Which US plan are u using at the moment , because I am using google fi and was told that if I spend a long duration outside United states the phone plan will be pause until I enter United States again

I am using Google Fi for last 12 months without any problem. You can use TMobile as well.

I was planning to use google fi as well but the customer service told me it is not meant for long period oversea usage (they wouldn’t let me know for how long ) and they might pause the service if necessary and wait for you to reactivate it when u are back in United States. Do you only use google fi to receive call and text and get a Canada service for data service ?

I did not talk with Google Fi and ask for the details. I activated the service (20 USD per month) inside the US and took the SIM as I moved. I disabled data service and use the number as a second number to manage my accounts in the US just for call and text purpose.
That being said, I use primarily Fido for my canadian contacts, calls, texts for all canadian banking and data requirements. Google Fi is my secondary number for US banking and other stuff such as receiving OTP and PIN etc.

1 Like

My husband used Google Fi in the US for about a year and has been using it in Canada for about 1 year now. No issues yet!

perfect thank you !

I needed to hear this. I was in a dilemma for a long time.

@Jairaj1104 - so what did you decide?

I have decided to move to Canada. I have talked to so many friends who moved from US to Canada and now feel liberated. The release in their voices was so palpable. My company wants to extend but I have made my mind now. Nothing is as important as peace of mind. Some things USD cant buy.

5 Likes