Renunciation of PR status

Hi
I have reapplied for PR under Spousal Sponsorship by my wife who is a citizen of Canada. I did not renew my previous PR which I got in 2006 completed my landing but did not stay on while my family moved in permanently in 2007. I decided to remain in service where I was working and made annual trips to be with the family. Not having met the the conditions to renew my PR and I decide to give it up.

I reapplied for under spousal sponsorship. With the new PR application in submission at IRCC I have received a request to submita compelted “Application to Voluntarily Renounce Permanent Resident Status” (Form IMM5782e). I am foxed whether this submission will terminate my current PR application or is it being to requested to terminate the previous PR. Appreciate if anyone coould throw some light on this.
Thanks
Bhognath

I’m guessing that this is a request for the form that you submitted last time when you decided to give your PR up.

What’s probably happening is that no one ever adjudicated that you lost your PR back in, say, 2013 (when the first five year period ended). And I’d guess that when you decided to give up your PR, you decided to just let it lapse without filling out any additional paperwork.

So they don’t have any record of you losing your PR and you’re officially still a PR in their systems. This is particularly the case where the spouse has Canadian citizenship, as most of the time a PR who lives abroad with a Canadian citizen retains PR, even if the 730 day rule isn’t met.

My guess is this is therefore a request to renounce the previous PR, and not to terminate the current PR application. Something similar happened with eTA problem because of previously working in Canada | Canada Immigration Forum where a guy had to fill out the same form and officially renounce PR before getting an ETA to visit Canada.

That said, no harm in raising a webform with the IRCC website to ask for clarity.