Soft landing for COPR approved prior to March 18, 2020

Hi! I did not email to a specific visa office. It was just a simple web form that I happen to send to let them know that I am ready to move and that is how received the response.

I live in the U.S.

ok. Thanks @Rpan.

Hi All,
We completed landing on Jan 9th, 2021 and returned back to USA same day.

Posting here to share my experience since this thread was very useful.

My wife and I completed landing by road at peace arch border.
We did this since we didn’t get any convincing info about getting PR after COPR expires. So far what we know is that you will be required to take medicals again and send it to Canada immigration and wait for them to share next steps.

Our COPR and visa was expiring on Jan 25th 2021.
As per recommendations from others in this thread to reach border early morning, we arrived at peace arch border around 9:30am. We followed the advice in the link : https://www.yourcanadapr.com/canada-pr-soft-landing-experience-from-usa/#explaining-quarantine-plans-to-cbsa

Only change from the advice in the link above is that we took our own car to do landing since we didn’t have plans to move permanently at this time. It’s best to be honest about your intentions.
We didn’t need 2 copies of goods list, they took only 1 copy.

My wife is carrying so we didn’t want to risk the exposure to pandemic by staying in hotel. We felt it’s safe to stay in our house in Oregon. If we were asked why we aren’t we moving permanently, our answer would have been the same, we don’t want to risk the exposure during this time.
We still prepared to quarantine in Canada if we were forced to do so.

It is very important to carry all the docs. I can’t stress it enough…

For list of goods carrying and goods to follow, we just provided 2 printed sheets with list of items with description and their value in USD. I suggest putting value in CAD. You will need to add a total of the value at the end. If you don’t add, they will ask you to calculate it before they process.

We had also printed a sheet with quarantine plan just in case (we were not asked for this may be because we had made it clear that we will be returning to USA the same day). This contained same info as provided in the link above. We chose a hotel (no reservations were made), few restaurants, pharmacy and grocery centers. Included the address of all these places in this printed document.

It took 30 to 40 mins to complete the paperwork.

Paperwork process: You will be asked for passport, COPR sheets and goods list. They will ask you to verify the info in the COPR and a Canadian address to mail PR cards.

On USA side.

Both of our visas were expired so we took the AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) path. You just need passport and approved i-797 with attached i94 (If you take AVR, make sure NOT make any visa appointments in Canada).
To be safe we carried all the documents which are required to apply for US VISA.

At US port of entry we were asked why are you here, we said we are returning to US after completing PR process in CA. They took our passport and i-797s and told us to park our car near immigrations building. They stick an orange slip on the windshield. Someone came to us, took the orange slip and asked us to confirm that do we want to work in US and why not move to CA since we have PR. We confirmed with a YES and said we have not made plans when to move to CA yet but right now we want to return to US and resume our work. They asked us to pay $6 per person to process i94. We were not asked to go inside the building, we just sat in our car waiting. CBP officers did all the work. We got our passports and i-797s and were showed directions to exit CBP and enter US.

Wish you all the best!

Thanks

5 Likes

My COPR lists prov. of dest. as Ontario and city of destination as Toronto, but I am planning to follow your path and land at peace arch. Would this cause any issue? I am in SW1, If you don’t mind sharing, could you please share your province of destination and city of destination on your copr?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

It was same for me. Province and city of destination was Ontario and Toronto. This didn’t cause any issue.