Soft landing & Return Same Day - After Covid

Has anyone returned to US same day after completing initial landing process?

• If so - Did they generate PR card? Or, were you asked to apply once you move permanently?

• How about quarantine plans? Did you book AirBnB or hotels even though you returned same day?

• Did they ask you about your quarantine plans?

Since there are rumors of barring H1B holders to return back to USA. We are contemplating to complete our landing as soon as possible. And, return to US immediately.

Thank you!

From what I know:

• Your PR card will be issued after COPR is validated at the border (mailed to the addresses you provided during this process). This might take upto 4 months as current timeline says it’s taking 113 days to issue a new PR card.
  • Under the current scenario, you should not plan to return the same day as there’s a mandatory 14 day quarantine. You should confirm with the AirBnB host about this or a better option is to stay at a friend’s/relative’s place as you’ll nee someone known to be the receiver your PR card.
  • They will definitely ask you about a detailed quarantine plan.

Also note you can only complete landing from US if your COPR was issued on or before March 18th as the borders to non essential travel are still closed.

2 Likes

For anyone who might be interested - I was able to complete my soft landing and return back to USA the same day. I called the officers and they confirmed that I wouldn’t need to quarantine if I wasn’t planning on entering Canada.

Hi pankajtrivedi - what number and agency did you call to confirm this information. Did you complete your soft landing before or after the executive order on visa band from US.

I called at 800-461-9999. It’s a generic toll free number for all borders. I completed just a couple of hours before the effective date of the executive order.
However, @BharatNT2IE mentioned that folks were able to come back even after the executive order.

@pankajtrivedi Glad that it worked out for you. Couple of questions.

Was your COPR approved before March 18th ?
How did you go about completing the formalities, via land or air travel ?

1. Yes - It was approved on 13th March.
  2. I took all relevant documents (Passport, COPR, Goods To Follow, Bank Statements) - I traveled through Peace Bridge Border using my own car. I had my car title and insurance with me - though they didn’t ask. I told them that I’d be bringing car during my final move.
  • They asked me a couple of questions - Why today? Why not permanent move? Where to send the card? Will you bring your car with you?

Overall, it went fine.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Same day return Not possible since there is a 14 day quarantine, and they won’t let you enter if you don’t have a plan ready on paper (e.g. AirBnB, hotel stay for two weeks, groceries done/ instacart app etc.).

Did they generate PR card? Or, were you asked to apply once you move permanently?

People have received either answers from CBSA based on where they land or which CBSA officer they get and how many questions they ask.

How about quarantine plans? Did you book AirBnB or hotels even though you returned same day?

This is highly illegal (faking booking and returning same day during the pandemic), because now you’re legally required to be 14 days under self quarantine. RCMP is calling people and verifying whether they’re following the self isolation process, and failing to comply might result in fines or jail time. Read the news about American tourists getting fined $2k (plus they can get marked as breaking the law).

Did they ask you about your quarantine plans?

They’re asking everyone who is entering, and it’s recommended to have one on paper.