Son have autism, Am i eligible for PR

Hi All, I am interested to move to Canada, but my elder son is having Autism. Am i eligible for the PR. Can you please share any good consultancies that i can take support off?

Just to share about myself, I have been working in US for more than 6 years in system administration and Devops. Thank you very much in advance.

Of course u can happily apply! Autism is not a chronic disease. But coming to the consultant, we hired one in India… Do u want me to check if they would take clients from USA?

Thank you. sure, any references to good consultancies greatly helpful to me. I am looking to get support from consultancies to apply to canada and look for the job opportunities.

I would talk to an immigration lawyer to get a definitive answer, but as I understand it, the govt wants to make sure that there won’t be a burden on their healthcare system. At the most I think you may be asked to provide a breakdown of any expenses required for healthcare and present it to them. I’m not sure what the guidelines are for evaluation in this case which is why an immigration lawyer might have better information. For instance I’ve read stories about diabetics submitting their medical condition reports and all expenses required for necessary drugs etc that they will require over long-term and their ability to cover those expenses. And their applications went through.

2 Likes

I second @avj, you should talk to an immigration lawyer and not just an immigration consultant. With all due respect to immigration consultants, the quality varies wildly. The relevant section that you’re likely concerned about is this.

You could search for law firms online but be sure to schedule a consultation with them before committing to using them. I found one online that seems to list Autism as one of the conditions that they’ve helped clients deal with. I can’t vouch for the quality of their or others as I haven’t had to use them.

The one thing that is to your benefit is that if you are a permanent resident, then your immediate family sponsorship is immune from medical inadmissibility on the grounds of excessive demand. So if you were to first become a Permanent Resident and then sponsor family you should be fine, I’m not sure if non-accompanying members are also subject to a medical though during the initial application.

Best of luck with your potential application in the future.

1 Like

I am not sure about this: “The one thing that is to your benefit is that if you are a permanent resident, then your immediate family sponsorship is immune from medical inadmissibility on the grounds of excessive demand. So if you were to first become a Permanent Resident and then sponsor family you should be fine, I’m not sure if non-accompanying members are also subject to a medical though during the initial application.”

Non-accompanying members of the family have to go through all the medical tests as their accompanying counterpart and the approval of the PR application of the applicant depends on the medical results of all the members of the family, accompanying and non-accompanying.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing, I wasn’t aware of this. Then the route of first becoming PR and then sponsoring family members is out of the equation.

Can u connect with me on premany@yahoo.co.in once

@dvuyyuru What did you end up doing?

I got a US employer who can sponsor my H1b visa. So for now, we decided to stay back here.