Submit the passport for COPR

I am currently living in India. At the time of applying Canadian PR I was living in the US.

I do not have a mailing address in USA/Canada.

I received an email asking me to send my passport for COPR. The email mentions address for residents of US and Canada to send passport but not for people with mailing address outside these 2 countries. It asks me to fill the webform (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp) to get details of address to send the documents to. When I check the form I don’t find the correct category to file this question. Can someone please guide me on what I need to do.

I think you need to email to CIC explaining your situation and they will issue a second PPR. However, if you have applied through any immigration agency, then please ask them to raise a request regarding the same through your profile.

Hope this helps!

@prasan @truseju @mdattani89

Hello guys,

I got request to send my passport for COPR. Am currently in US.
In the request letter I was asked to send passport and docs., along with a return label. I have tried Fedex, UPS, USPS…but none of them were able to generate a return label - They say, its not possible for me to pay and get a return label if its international.

Can you guys please advice me on how you were able to do that in the past. Thanks a ton.

I created my account in Fedex and generated the return label along with the label for sending the documents/passport to CIC (from the USA to Canada).
(On how to create Fedex return label, check YouTube. As far as I remember, it was not complicated).
Once you create the labels through Fedex account, just visit a Fedex store with the print outs and they will be able to help you on that.

The FedEx store can’t generate a return label for you. Nik is right. You’ll need to create an account on FedEx.com and create the return label yourself. The process is very straightforward and IRCC actually has recommended steps to follow while creating this return label. Check out this website Cross border shipment instructions - Canada.ca and follow the instructions exactly as listed. Choose the fastest shipping option, even if it’s expensive (100 USD) rather than opting for ground transport. I chose ground transport and had a hellish experience since the commercial invoice was missing(needed for international mail). Tried contacting FedEx but their support was useless and in the end my passports were returned to CIC-Ottawa and I had to procure new shipping labels once again with the air transport option. FYI, the air transport option automatically generates commercial invoices and there’s also a convenient email option to submit them if they are missing. This was my experience and I hope no one has to go through this again.

Oh yeah, commercial invoice is mandatory (the name is scarier than the actual document, it’s just a piece of paper that says you are sending something that’s of no commerial value). Don’t miss that. It would be provided by the Fedex store during the shipping process. I would not say it’s mandatory, however, my assumption is customs check the papers for random packages. And for such packages, if they dont see the attached commerical invoice then it’s a problem!

@nik @texan
Thanks for your tips guys. I eventually shipped them out by creating fedex account.
Bit a trouble here…I shipped them out by then @texan warned me not to ship by ground. I did ground shipping too, lol ! But did put in fedex commercial invoice.
I just tracked, and looks packet has been signed and received by someone at CIC. Hoping that means its all good.

how long do they typically take to send passport back ?

@avinash Glad to hear that your passports reached CIC safely and I can confirm that I didn’t have any issues when sending my passports either. But they’re going to need a commercial invoice for the return shipping as well. The return shipping commercial invoice is unique from the sending commercial invoice, if that makes sense. Did you make sure to include a commercial invoice for your return shipping labels?

I remember it took them about 1.5 to 2 weeks from the date I sent in my passport to notice an update on my IRCC account confirming the details of my approved CoPR Visa. I could have gotten my passport back at the end of the 2nd week had everything gone smoothly but instead it took way longer. So, I’d say, you should receive your passport within 3 weeks if everything goes smoothly.

I sent by Fedex Internation Priority. Not sure if that’s ground or something else. But, if they have received your passport, you are fine. Don’t worry about it.