Time between soft landing and hard landing

So after soft landing what’s the maximum time one has to move to Canada permanently?

What if a person owns a leased vehicle at the time of final move?

Anyone staying in the Windsor area working in the USA? Will be great to connect.

A bit about me, I’m on my h1b and have a job in Detroit. I’m thinking of moving to Canada for good but have a 3 year h1b left. So I’m thinking why not move to Windsor and come to work in USA daily ? Anyone doing a similar thing?

you need to spend 2 years every 5 years to be eligible to renew your PR card. so in theory, you get 3 years before you could wait to move to Canada, but it is in reality a bit less.

It is possible to import a leased car to Canada, but to be honest, its a lot of hassle, I turned in my leased car before I moved, it still had 5 months left in a 3 year lease. I was able to use all miles, so didnt feel bad. :slight_smile:
I had another car which was paid off, and that moved with me to Canada, and was a big help during initial days settling in.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. Say suppose I do a soft landing and tell them I’ll move after a year, declare a few items in goods to follow. What if at a later date, say 6 months I buy a car? Can the GTF be updated later on?

So after soft landing what’s the maximum time one has to move to Canada permanently?

People can spend upto 3 years, but not a day more, outside Canada after they land, without losing their residency obligation. However I know people have gotten questioned (not too much), if they stretch it beyond 2.5 years (in the infrequent event that CBSA agent even checks it). It becomes hard after 2.5 years because now you cannot travel anywhere for long duration without risking RO.

What if a person owns a leased vehicle at the time of final move

?

Not sure, might wanna ask the leasing company.

A bit about me, I’m on my h1b and have a job in Detroit. I’m thinking of moving to Canada for good but have a 3 year h1b left. So I’m thinking why not move to Windsor and come to work in USA daily ? Anyone doing a similar thing?

That shouldn’t be a big issue (at least on the Canadian side), since if you’re coming back to Canada on same day it should be counted in your physical presence/residency.
I would check on the US side, whether it’s OK to do this everyday on an H1B, since now you’re not exactly living in the US.

So if I get my pr card and want to travel in and out of Canada without doing the hard landing, can I do so?

The in and out will be a couple of visits to friends.

yes, there is nothing like soft landing really. so Canada doesn’t care.