Transferring US license to Ontario

Hello All,

Can someone shed some light on how to transfer US license to Ontario?

1. Does Ontario DMV accept US licenses for transfer?
  2. Do we need to give any written test (if we have valid US license)?
  3. Do we need the PR card/SIN number or just the COPR on passport is good enough for transferring US license

Thank you

https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange-out-province-drivers-licence

You can get your driving history from your local DMV. In Utah DMV there’s a $10 fee to get one and they give you one page report on your record that you can show to Ontario DMV.

What tests do I take?

You could need to take certain driving tests before you get a full driver’s licence. It depends on:

• how long you have been driving
  • if the valid driver’s licence you have was issued in a country, province or state that does or does not have an exchange agreement in place with Ontario

2+ years driving experience (with exchange)

You only need to take an eye test, when you apply. After you pass this test, you get a full licence.

Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)

You need to take:

• an eye test, when you apply
  • one road test (the G2 road test)

You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

What are the rules for G1 drivers?

2+ year driving experience (no exchange)

When you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test

After you pass the written and eye tests, you need to take one road test (G2 road test). You can book the G2 road test right away.

After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

Under 2 years driving experience (no exchange)

When you apply for an Ontario driver’s licence, you need to:

• take a written test about rules of the road and traffic signs
  • take an eye test

Before you get a full licence, you also need to take two road tests (G1 and G2).

You can book the first road test (G1 road test), after you pass the written and eye tests.

After you pass your G1 road test, you cannot take your G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you have one, full year of driving experience. For example, if you’ve had your foreign licence for 8 months, you can take your G2 road test after 4 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

3 Likes

Thank you Anshul :slight_smile:

1 Like

What if let’s say my US license is expired by the time I move to Canada?

This is really helpful information! In texas we can request for any of the below records. Based on the information provided on Ontario site, I suppose a 3-year record should suffice? or a Type AR (Complete history)?.

TEXAS- DMV

• Status Record (Type 1) : name, date of birth (DOB), license status, and latest address.
  • 3-year History Record (Type 2) : name, DOB, license status, list of accidents and moving violations on record within past 3-year period.
  • List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3) : name, DOB, license status, list of all accidents and violations on record.
  • Certified 3-year History record (Type 2A) : certified version of Type 2. This record is not acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
  • Certified List of All Accidents and Violations on Record (Type 3A) : certified version of Type 3. This record is acceptable for Defensive Driving Course (DDC).
    *** Certified Abstracts of Driving Record (Type AR) : Certified abstract of complete driving record of a license holder.**
1 Like

Anything more than 2 years should be fine. Option 2 I suppose.

You’ll probably need to give the eye test and the written test.

Thanks! Yeah i assumed that should be good and requested the same!

Hello,

Has anyone got their driving record from California?

I just received mine and it shows two things .

• My current active license (from 2017 - oct to expiry ). This is less than 2 years, may not be sufficient for direct exchange in Ontario
  • All previous addresses I have stayed at in the last 3-4 years.

Would that be sufficient to prove that I have driven in California for more than 2 years ?

Thanks