US Social Security benefits when I move to Canada

Hi All,

I am planning to make the move in a few years however I was wondering would I still be eligible to receive my US social security benefits after my move to Canada.

I am on an L1A visa with 3 yrs in the US so I am eligible for some partial benefits in the event of my death etc.


you need to spend 40 quarters (10 years) paying your US taxes before being eligible for SS benefits from US.

Do we have to actually work in the US? Or just file returns based on other income such as interest income etc.?

I believe you have to contribute to the US social net by paying taxes.