Where are you working? Company?

Hi folks,

For all the people who have migrated already to Canada especially on the East Coast Toronto Area, I wanted to start a thread to see where everyone is working.
I have seen multiple posts here around the different companies that have a presence here and that are hiring. But a reality check to see where people actually work or prefer working once they have moved here would be great.
It will give sense to others who are close to making a move too.
Eg. Are you working full time in Canada? Are you working as a consultant locally? Are you working as a consultant for a US company?

I will start. I am working at DigitalOcean which has presence in Canada.

3 Likes

I haven’t moved yet because of covid restrictions etc. (I know I technically can). I’ll be moving to Vancouver area and working for Amazon (same team, but will be tagged to Amazon Canada). That said, if someone is looking out for cybersecurity related jobs in Vancouver area fee free to reach out to me. I’m looking to hire engineers/tpms fro GRC/cyber security.

2 Likes

Toronto area, General Motors, contractor (incorporated)

Can i message you directly for some questions on how to proceed as a incorporated contractor.?

Not sure if I have it down completely, but sure I’ll try my best

I consult with a US based company (health care) and am able to work from home. Luckily they kept me on after my I moved back. It’s been really convenient during the pandemic not having to travel for work.

Are you working as an independent consultatnt? If yes can you please throw some light on how did you set up the consulting firm? What is the tax complexity - do you have to pay Canadian tax or US tax? or both? My current firm wants to keep me for few ~20 hours per week. Thank You!

I went from an in house position with a larger firm to branching out on my own. It’s not too complicated in terms of taxes, you have to report everything you earn in Canada, but the taxes are filed (and reported) in the U.S. using the forms supplied by the company. The biggest obstacle is converting the earnings for reporting purposes. I used an accountant the first year, but they showed me the ropes and it was easy enough to do on my own from there.