Baby born in US after soft landing

Hi @panditji ,

Thank for detailed explanation on the topic throughout forum. Me and my wife are PR since late 2018 and our twin boys born later in jan 2020. They just turned 1. I moved here (Toronto) 3 days back from California . My wife and Kids went to India for vacation . I will be going to India too and we all will be coming back in end of April. That was my brief Introduction :slight_smile: Now here is my question -

1.I will be looking for jobs once I comeback from India. Can I apply PR for kids now before going to India without having job or do I need job?
2.Do I need NOA before Applying PR for my kids? I am confused about that rule.
3. If Yes, then I would need to wait until next year to get it and their six months will be ending before year end(They will be here in 1st week of may ). I know they can enter on US passport and stay for 6 months . I am not sure if they come in on US passport do they get any visitor stamp or something else to define as visitor. If that is the case how do I extend that? I understand from your post that once I apply for PR they will be considered Maintain Implied status.

Thank for helping community .
Sameer

Jai Shri Ram Sameer.

1. You can definitely apply for Permanent Residence of your children, however it appears based on your description that they are currently in India. In this case your application would be Outland, I’d check to see what the requirements and timelines are for this vs the Inland application. One of the requirements for a PR to sponsor their family is that they must be living in Canada. It doesn’t appear that it is the case for you just yet. It sounds like you’ve recently moved and are going out of the country again. So I personally think it’s better for you to start the sponsorship application after you are back and are actually living in Canada.
  2. You don’t need a NOA and there are no income requirements per se to sponsor immediate family members. However you do need to show that you will be able to support these family members and sign an undertaking saying that you will financially support your sponsored family members for a period of 10 years. Showing bank statements, previous tax returns to support the balance and a job letter are adequate to be approved for sponsorship.
  3. No to the previous question, as long as you are actually living in Canada you can sponsor your dependent children. I don’t think CBSA stamps US passports or gives you a visitor record, though you can certainly ask them at the airport.

Another note would be that with the current COVID situation, I would be careful when coming back to Canada and ensure that your children are allowed to board the flight with you, while they are US citizens, they aren’t PRs. I do believe that they should be allowed to board as immediate family members of Canadian Citizens and PRs are exempt from the travel restrictions but I wouldn’t be surprised if the airlines officials aren’t quite upto speed and give you a hard time about it.

1 Like

Jai Shree Ram Bhai ,
Thank you so much for detailed explanation . I think I will apply once I will be back from India.
As per rules I think kids should be fine but you can never trust airlines. But I really appreciate that you are taking time and advising us.

Hi @panditji ,
I am planning to move to Toronto this June from US. I have a 1 yr old who is a US citizen.
Assuming I apply for my child’s PR once I move, is there any restriction to travel outside Canada while the PR is in process ?

Thanks for bringing up the point regarding the children (i.e if US citizen without PR cards) would be allowed to board with us!
We were thinking about the same & wondering about the next steps. We reached out to the border security via email with the same question but no response received yet!

Hoping we get a resolution sooner!

Thanks!

Ram Ram Bhai,

Quick question. How did you manage Health Insurance for kid until he/she gets PR?

Thanks
Sameer

Ram Ram Sameer, I referred to the part about health insurance here Baby born in US after soft landing - #4 by panditji

I think most provinces will extend health insurance coverage to dependents with an active PR application. I know for sure that BC and ON offer this, but you should search online for details about the province that you plan to settle in.

For BC the info is in my previous post and for OHIP see https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card#section-2 the section about who qualifies confirms this.

And if you want you can buy private insurance or get it through your employer during the wait period of the first 2-3 months. Currently OHIP doesn’t have any wait period but this depends on each province so I’d check for whatever province you will settle in.

1 Like

Hi - Thank you for above information. Do we need to wait for 6 months before applying for child’s PR ? we just came to Toronto in December and wondering when we can officially file ?

Hi I am interested in above question as well, is there any time that I need to spend in Canada before I can apply for my child’s PR? Also, do I need to stay in Canada with my child for the entire period of PR application ? I was thinking of taking a month long vacation to India in December. Can I still do that with active PR application for my child ?

Hello all,
Hope all you are safe amidst the ongoing pandemic!We had a follow up question for this thread.
Before migrating with our US citizen baby to Canada, do we need to update any records in the states? I didn’t find any specifics online/gov site so I suppose nothing needs to be updated anywhere in his records. However we wanted to just confirm with any of you who already moved to Can.

Appreciate the response

@appy22 are you referring to any records for your child specifically or in general ? If former, I don’t think there is anything specific. The only thing that comes to mind, is that you need to check with your pediatrician on the vaccine schedule and get a copy of that record (just for reference).

Thanks much!
Yeah I was referring just in general as we are moving him out of the country!
Thanks, yeah we have secured his medical records, vaccination schedules from his pediatrician!

Appreciate it!

Regards,
Appy

Hello panditji,
Hope you are doing good and summer is treating you well. We finally landed in Toronto couple of months ago and so far settling in and getting accustomed to our new city.

I had a follow up question again on this thread regarding applying for baby’s PR card.
So when you first applied for the PR card did they send you any acknowledgement, receipt or any such sorts after they received your application? We applied for our baby’s PR card and have not received any confirmation and also were unable to link the application to our account online.
We contacted them, however have not received any response so far. I do see their FAQs which say they are running behind on their emails etc but just thought of checking in the forum.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated. Thanks a ton!

Regards,
Appy

Jai Shri Ram Appy,

Sadly it looks like summer is fading away and there is a chill in the air. It was fabulous till it lasted but we must wait till next year.

As you’ve already discovered IRCC aren’t very prompt with their communications so you’re just going to have to wait it out sadly.

That said, yes I did get a piece of correspondence from them after about a month (there weren’t these delays then) which confirmed that they approved my eligibility as a sponsor and that they would proceed with the PR application thereafter. I used this letter as proof of pending application to apply for the provincial health card for my child (they issued a temporary card with validity of an year) and this was extended after the COPR was issued right about an year later.

As for linking the application online, I had no luck with it. I tried looking for it with both the childs particulars and mine and no luck. I had also reached out to IRCC and their incompetent agent told me that they couldn’t share any info with me as I wasn’t the applicant. Apparently they want infants and toddlers to contact them and they will only share information with them directly.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding so fast! I know, it’s definitely getting cooler.

Ah,1 month to get a confirmation, I guess with existing delays, I hope to get something before our baby’s 15 month visit which is 3 month away:). Although good to know about your experience, coz I was thinking I may have missed some detail which was documented on their website about this.

No idea how they “Link your application” doesn’t work, I also tried both the combinations with no luck, Sigh!

Haha, may be I will call them when our little boy is fussy and put him on the phone with them. We may get some information then!

Thanks a ton for your note, really helpful. Hoping to get some acknowledgement soon!

Happy Fall!

Regards,
Appy

Hi @appy22 ,
Hoe you are doing well. Are you in BC or ON? Did you get any confirmation on PR submission. I am applying for my boys now. They just came in country . Why I am asking is to see when I can apply for their OHIP. I saw online that if you submit application and IRCC accept application than you become eligible to apply for OHIP.

" * are applying for permanent residence in Canada and:

• have submitted an application to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and;
  • IRCC has confirmed they have reviewed the application and that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply (see document requirements);and
  • you have not yet been denied

"

Ram ram bhai,
When you filled IMM1344 for sponsorship, did you put your spouse name as cosigner ? I am trying to put as cosigner but my wife’s last name is different and it is throwing an error . I am thinking of dropping her name from cosigner .
Thanks
Sameer

Ram Ram Sameer,

Yes I did add my wife as a co-sponsor, her lastname is different from mine but I don’t recall having any problems with that. I don’t know if the application for this can be submitted online now, but if it’s still pen and paper you could always fill it by hand.

The other suggestion in terms of getting health insurance is to keep a copy of your application with you along with the receipt for the fees that you’ve paid. It’s worth taking that to your provincial health authority as proof of pending application in case the acknowledgement from IRCC takes a while to come through.

Thank you for prompt reply , yes it is not online, but I have to fill online and PDF validates it than generate barcodes on new page. It ask me to print those too. So I will try again if I can do anything about it else I will use only my name. BTW do you remember if you had validate and generate barcodes. If not can you please share link from where did you downloaded forms.
Thanks for the suggestion for health insurance .I will keep in mind to keep copy of these document. Just to be safer side i bought 4 months health insurance for them.

Hi Sameer.
Sorry for responding late. Doing well, thank you. We are presently in Toronto, Ontario.

Awesome, glad your boys can join you in Canada. Unfortunately not yet. The process has been really slow for us. So far we have just received a letter confirming that the application has been received.
We have not yet received even the eligibility confirmation. We tried going to to Service Ontario with all the IRCC email confirmations and Faqs and other details but unfortunately couldn’t get a temporary OHIP ( but thats just our experience).

Service Ontario requires you to provide a physical letter from IRCC that confirms your sponsorship eligibility. They will be able to provide you a temporary OHIP for a year based on that. We are still working our case with their committee.

I hope things go smoother for you! Good luck.

Regards,
Appy