Background Check taking more time than usual

@aditya_bisht
Great. I am awaiting final decision with everything passed. I am a Inland PNP applicant and the wait seems never ending.

Eligibility : Passed
Security : Passed
Criminality : Passed
VO : Etobicoke IRCC (Ontario, Canada)
AOR : 8th October 2018, IP2 - 20th March 2019.

Since my Medicals passed on September 8th 2018 and then for a day, I saw status “application is in process and we will let u know when background check starts” and immediately after one day my status is as below since then. Can someone clarify if I am at IP1 or IP2 ? The status never changed after that nor i got any ghost emails either.
Review of eligibility: We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical results|You passed the medical exam.
Review of additional documents|We do not need additional documents.
Interview : You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
Biometrics: We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background check|We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decision :Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.

What is the number you called? I am not in Canada and would like to know how to contact them.

Thts ip2

I am in Canada so I use number posted here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/contact-ircc/client-support-centre.html

I think if you’re outside Canada please check this posting - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-to-reach-cic-call-centre-toll-free-number-from-outside-canada.24877/page-4

I suggest Call CIC and check on the current status. I cleared all stages (Security, Criminality and Eligibility) the day my status changed to “We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.” All the best.

1 Like

Hi all,

Even I am stuck in the waiting game. I have applied for the FSW stream from India.

AOR - 14th August, 2018
Medicals Cleared - 5th September, 2018

Post that I have not observed any change in my account status. It still shows me that my background check is yet to start. I recently ordered GCMS notes and I am hoping I get some clarity from them.

My partner’s AOR is a month after mine and he got his PPR in approximately 5.5 months and I am still waiting. I’m really hoping to hear soon about my status so we can go together. Fingers crossed!

I called CIC yesterday on +16139444000. After the computerized call was done, I asked to transfer to CIC agent and it took 26 minutes of waiting. He asked for few details and after confirming he informed that the background check has not been started yet, however the eligibility criteria has been met.
He said to get back to them in mid-June !:worried: My AOR is 30 Oct 2018 and on April 30, six months will be over!! And now this!! I am so worried as he said to wait for another 2.5 months :frowning:

No don’t worry… They are telling everyone so. When I called, the agent said July! Apparently it’s the students visas time now. So probably they have been instructed to tell everyone like tht. But they can’t see our completion date except for the one on the status bar so chill. Mine is Nov 2nd and I entered ip2 on March 22nd. And there are many Oct guys who got it after 5 or 5.5 months, and all these had both ip2 and PPR on the same day. So just stay +ve

I called CIC this morning and they just provided the status i see on my online profile which is processing your background check and they said there is no timeline when this will complete. Anyone has any clue if that means it is going to take forever? I was looking for some kind of detailed update like where it is struck but the agent said he sees only what we see.

Finally received my PPR mail today, AOR 21 August. CIC took forever, they were reviewing my work experiences’ full time status, I learned that from GCMS notes but I didn’t act on it for a month assuming they’d take their sweet time and figure it out. Meanwhile I began communication with my ex-employer to get another experience letter validating my full-time status, which I got it in the end and I submitted it using CIC webform and BANG I got my PPR in 10 days.

TL;DR- Don’t wait for CIC to ask you for the documents, order GCMS notes if your application is taking more than usual time and act accordingly.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Where were you applying from and under what track (eg FSW etc)?

1 Like

Applied from US for express entry PR.

1 Like

Hi! Congratulations on your PPR! I think I have a same case as yours. My AOR is July 25th and I got my GCMS today. It appears that they are reviewing my work experience since part of it is not very detailed. Just wondering what your Criminality and Security status on your last GCMS? Cause it appears that mine isn’t done yet.
But thanks for the tip though. Maybe I should do the same thing as you did. I’m already stressed out waiting on my application.

1 Like

My AOR is August 17 2018. Can someone advice, if i need to order GCMS or CBSA notes first or can order both ? Also, is there any downside ordering both to save time?

What is ur status currently? Ip1 or ip2? If it’s still ip1 then better order gcms to see what’s causing the delay. U can even call once before ordering bcz the agent can tell u if any red flags are there. But I think cbsa is not required right now. If u find some security related issue, then u can order cbsa.

I have been struck in background check since september 2018 and in the group i am being told it is IP2. I called the agent yesterday and he was not that helpful and all he said is he can see only what i can see. Can i call agent again today and try my luck with other agent or any negative impact if i call back to back ?

URGENT !!

Everyone,

I have got my PPR but my employer has filed for my H-1B process so I can’t travel till I get some decision on my H-1B application.

Is there a way to request CIC folks to extend the date of arrival to Canada by few months, I am aware of the fact that the Date of Arrival will be somewhat near the expiration of my Medicals. In my case they will be expiring on September 25,2019. I would like to get few more months to make a soft landing in Canada.

Is this possible ??

Thanks

Hello,

We submitted our aplication Aug 2018. Received a request to upload an additional form in September. Submitted additional form.

In late November, having not received any news I went over my application again only to find out that I had not asked my employer and former employers to list the Responsibilities in the Employment Letter. Naturally, I updated those documents and submitted them in December.

I had not received news and when 8 months surpassed, I asked for the GCMS notes.

Received GCMS notes yesterday and basically it confirmed all the things I had uploaded and in september the officer wrote that we had not passed eligibility because we did not list the responsibilities (for which I would later update the info).

There was another update on the GCSM note (*the very last one) that said they had received the ammended documents, and the note was dated February 2019.

Anyhow, I was pretty shocked and dissapointed that I had been refused (based on the note) and decided to call CIC in Canada directly and spoke to one of the representatives. She said she cannot give me additional updates because the application has been moved to VIENNA. She said that usually is good news as it means that they have worked on the application.

What do you guys think? Anyone on a similar boat?

Hello All, I called back again and this time the agent was very kind enough to provide me more information. She told me i Passed medical and I passed Criminal check and security screening is yet to start and since i am past the normal processing time, she said she will be putting a note and make sure someone looks into the file. Does anyone has any idea what is this security screening and how long it takes? was anyone in same boat?