Decision Time - Moving to Vancouver

All,

So, finally, the time has come. I started the process last year in January 2019, submitted my profile in August 2019, got my COPR in March 2020, Started Applying for Jobs in July 2020, Got an Offer in August 2020.

I was able to negotiate the salary - a number similar to what I am getting with my current Job but in CAD. I don’t think I’ll get a job opportunity better than the current one.

However, as human nature is, I am contemplating the move. There have been numerous threads on Pros and Cons. So, I am not looking for another list highlighting what has already been shared.

I just wanted to share my thoughts - and opening it up for a healthy discussion.

1 Like

Could you clarify what exactly it is that you want inputs or thoughts on?

On whether you should move from US to Canada?
Or
If you should move to Vancouver or another Canadian city.
Or
If you’re looking for certain information about Vancouver (as compared to where you currently are?).

@pankajtrivedi - congrats on everything. that in itself is a lot of effort. I am interested to learn what perspectives are you thinking when making the decision i.e., what are the key parameters you are considering to decide.

To be honest - this is one of the toughest decision of my life. I’ll decide tomorrow and let you know. DM me if you have specific questions.

1 Like

Good luck @pankajtrivedi

What’s holding you back? If you’ve received an offer that is somewhat comparable to what you make and you’re not making a huge career change, I (personally) would be overjoyed and move tomorrow. My husband and I have been in the US for 15 years, both have advanced degrees, live in the NYC area, have lovely friends, and have traveled a ton because of the opportunities that H1B provided to us. On the negative end, my husband was here on an H1 for 6 years; had to leave to go to India for a year (we lived apart during that time); when he came back, he had a hard time finding a job again that could sponsor his visa. He finally got his H4 EAD and found a job that was okay-ish but he really missed career satisfcation and growth. When it was time to renew his visa, the process often took close to 6 months which meant he wouldn’t make any money during that time. It was a very frustrating timeand both of us felt quite helpless. We knew that our lives were dependant on my visa being renewed in perpetuity and that was a pretty scary thought to be honest. We lacked mental peace. So in our specific situation, we would be very happy to move :slight_smile: Life has been hard but we’ve stuck through this difficult journey and look forward to finding good jobs before we can move to Canada. The idea that we could become citizens in 3-4 years and not have to live a life of uncertainty is the biggest factor for us in making the decision to move. We are child-free so even if we have to take a slight pay-cut, that’s fine with us.

I hope you can list out pros and cons for your specific situation and make a decision soon. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

2 Likes

Congrats @pankajtrivedi. Great news.

When I started the whole PR process, it was more of a safety net. I didn’t really think I wanted to move from the USA (bay area) to Canada; until I had to face a visa rejection and had to pack my bags to India in 2019. It’s not an easy task selling everything in two weeks and just moving out of a country you have called home for almost a decade.

Now, I can’t fathom the thought of going back to the US ever again on a work visa. The uncertainty, anxiety and the restrictions imposed by the H1 on switching jobs aren’t worth it. And let’s face it, almost everyone that’s on H1 right now runs the risk of a rejection at some point no matter what. I like the freedom that a PR or a citizenship offers. I can just quit a job or get out of a toxic work culture at any time without any fear of getting deported.

I have quit my job in India, and will be traveling to Toronto towards the end of the month. So, yeah, I would jump at such an opportunity anytime. I don’t know what’s making you reconsider the move but do think back on what prompted you to begin this whole thing in the first place. Maybe you’ll find your answers.

2 Likes

@pankajtrivedi if you got a job offer with similar salary as your current one and if you have done your research about Canada, then what’s holding you back? After all you made a bigger move moving from India to US. This move is between similar countries, you may not even change time zones depending on your location. But if you are not sure there might be something deep down that may be causing a concern. Anyway good luck!

Just to be clear - I got same number in CAD - so 26% salary cut.

Anyway, I have made the decision.

@pankajtrivedi what was the decision ?

Congrats on the offer. Not everyone gets this option of moving to Canada with a great job offer in hand.

From my POV, I’d take it and be super happy.

It’s very hard to keep your USD salary same even if you move from Bay Area to say Austin/Houston Texas. So it’s hard to equate salary’s across country borders with different currency rates, taxes, tax saving / retirement options.

I’ll save the rest of my response since it depends on whether you chose to make the move or not.

I’m in same situation as @pankajtrivedi . I have an offer from a company in Vancouver (which is almost same in USD as I’m making now, but I have to let go a promotion that’s due in Feb) and I’m very excited about it. My wife is moving with the company she works for now and she was offered dollar to dollar match. I have sent my passport to Ottawa for PRV re-stamping and waiting for it. Looking forward to Vancouver. :slight_smile:

1 Like

what are some of the good companies that are hiring in Vancouver? I come in from IT consulting background and looking for good tech prog management or product management roles there.

Have you moved to Vancouver through their pilot program. Can you share your experience how you found job in Vancouver?

What’s a pilot program? I applied for PR through Express Entry.

Ohk…Thanks for confirming. Actually, British Columbia has recently started a program for immigration.
Anyways, can you please shed some light on how you were able to lend a job in Vancouver please?

Your inputs are very valuable for us.

Thanks

Hi @Nehag1985 : I mostly applied for jobs online and reached out to recruiters in LinkedIn. Also I tried to get a referral where I could. I always applied for a company that is US based and have offices in Canada. I felt Canadian employer don’t pay well.
My take is even if the opening is for US and you know that employer has an office in Canada, there are chances that they will be okay if you work from Canada. I usually mentioned that to the recruiter in our introduction call and they would redirect me to the right team.
Sorry I assumed that you work in tech.

@lamba.satbeer Thanks a lot Satbeer and yes, you presumed right. I am in technical field and looking for options. These are great pointers. Thanks a lot.

Only question I am left with, did you take the offer and then created FSW profile as it might take some time to get picked up and are companies fine to wait till that time?

Please don’t mind if this question seems stupid😊. I am very new to this process.

Thanks for the valuable insights, @lamba.satbeer . If at all you did move to your new job in Feb, congrats! Hoping you’ve settled in well :slight_smile:

I am contemplating starting my job search with U.S. employers while I’m here in the Bay Area before a move to Vancouver. Could you please share suggestions on whether it makes sense to directly ask the recruiter(s) to redirect to the corresponding teams/recruiters in Canada? Also, was the hiring process directly with the Canadian team(s)?

That’s a good question. I’m afraid I don’t know about it because I got the PR approval first and then started applying for jobs.