Driving history from US to Canada

@usa2can, Yes, it was the same for me. They only showed Issue date - 2018 and just the last address update which was in Dec 2016 even though I have more than 5 years of experience. I called the main Sacramento office @ 1 916-657-8098 and they asked to fill up INS-70 and in Section 4 mention the reason for the record. Here is the form - https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/forms/inf/inf70

The record using that form will mention the issue date of the 1st driving license.

Note: The driving license number will never change even if we renew our license.

1 Like

wow, thats very useful information @gadaakhil, thank you very much.

Did you fill the INS-70 and if yes, how much time it took to receive the record?

Thanks

I mailed the form on 22nd May. I think it takes around 2 to 3 weeks to get the record mailed.

Would my driving license physical cards be sufficient to show my US driving history? Why do I need to prove with driving history documents from DMV? Can someone please shed some light on this.

Hi @gadaakhil, what was the reason you mentioned in Section 4? Also, did you choose Automated Record of 5$ or $20 (Photocopy of hardcopy documents)

I just mentioned that I need it to get FULL driving license and good deals on insurance in Canada.

1 Like

The driving history mentions the number of violations - e.g. red light violation, etc in the last 3 years. That along with your car insurance history will greatly help you to get good deals on insurance as well as FULL driving license in most of the provinces (Check with individual province on their requirements as it varies between each province).

Hi @gadaakhil, in the form did you choose Automated Record of 5$ or $20 (Photocopy of hardcopy documents) ? Im wondering of automated record will again be the same what they gave at DMV which shows driving history from the last renewed driving license. Also how did you pay the fee? Will personal cheque work?

I did $5 paid using debit card.

How did you pay using debit card while mailing the application? Is there another portal? Actually today I went to DMV for driving record and they took form 1125 and printed the record but it only has the date from last renewal. So its coming to be short of 2 years even though my first license was issued in 2014 :frowning: . For that I paid 5$. And they said the other form INS-70 needs to be mailed. So I no longer need to repay 5 $ ? Just mail INS-70 ? Sorry for asking too many questions, I am quite confused.

I had all these questions and since I have limited time in US (leaving in 3 weeks), so just sent 2 applications, one with 5$ and one with 20$ check.
Letā€™s see whether DMV provides it in the time I am here or not. Will keep you posted.
I am not even in CA, so donā€™t have the luxury of going to DMV physically :frowning:

Thanks for sharing @usa2can your experience. I wish these forms were more clear and easy to understand but government paperwork is always ambiguous. Yes please keep us posted. Im leaving next Friday (june 7th). Donā€™t have any time. I have turned on mail forwarding. So will have to ask my friend to mail it to me in Canada.

Definitely @rjtbansal, will share as soon as I receive the forms. I just mailed them today, so based on my previous experience, it might take 2-3 weeks.
Please keep us posted on your forms also, if you receive them.

TX is far better in this, as everything is online.

Good luck with your move. Are you moving to Toronto, what part of it? I am moving to Richmond hill, starting june 20th.

Now that makes me sad because we pay more taxes in California :grimacing:

Im mostly looking for apartments in/around North York.

thatā€™s the weather tax :slight_smile:

wait till you movnorth :wink:

@gadaakhil and @rjtbansal, did anyone of you receive the driving record after submitting your form 70 to CA DMV?

Thanks

My apology, I sent them check. Also, you can show your older licenses and explain them your situation.

1 Like

I mailed them last week. So havenā€™t received yet. Im flying tonight. I have provided my friendā€™s address. Will update you.

@gadaakhil @usa2can @rjtbansal Did you receive the info after submitting INS-70? How are you getting the payment receipt for INF-1125 and INS-70?

I havenā€™t got it yet but I guess the check payment proof should be sufficient in this case .