Driving history from US to Canada

Got my G license with driving record from 1125 form , detailed info from form 70 wasn’t needed. So just come and apply with form 1125 response .

@usa2can Thanks! That helps a lot. Could you let me know how they validated that you’ve 2+ years of driving experience?

Congratulations! However, problem is in 1125, it’s from my last renewal August 2017. So it’s not completing 2 years. Will it still be fine? I do have valid license till 2021.

Answering both queries abound from @th1ru and @rjtbansal

For me it was fine as I had my last California dl renewal on 2015, but for my wife it was from 2017 . So we had to talk through it with the agent and we submitted her old DL also which was issued in 2013 . Fortunately she had it .

If you have any old dl or something which could prove you had a dl earlier , a reasonable agent should accept it .

2 Likes

Thanks @usa2can. I don’t have hardcopy of old DL. I only have the scanned copy in my drive. Will give it a try. Thanks for this helpful info. Im still waiting for Form-70 mail. My friend hasn’t received it yet.

They provided the same information as I received for Form 1125 for the INF 70 form. Looks like they overwrite the driving history if our license is renewed and they just mention all the address changes in the past.

@rjtbansal Were you able to get the full license with the scanned old US Driver’s license? I have the exact same issue - driving history shows 1 year and have only the scan of the old one.

@gadaakhil I just mailed my INF 70 to DMV. Is it worth waiting for it or it doesn’t matter? Does the license issue date show the original issue date or still the latest renewal?

As I said, they provided the same information as I received for Form 1125 for the INF 70 form. Looks like they overwrite the driving history if our license is renewed and they just mention all the address changes in the past. So looks like INF-70 is a meaningless form as it gives us same info as Form 1125. So the best thing for you will be to go and visit nearest DMV, they will give you the records there and there.

No haven’t gone there yet for license thing.

Hello,
I got the driving abstract but did not save the payment receipt. is there a way that the credit card receipt will work as proof of payment?
Please let me know.
Thank you

you can try calling the DMV for the payment receipt.

I would try to get the payment receipt, they do state that as a requirement for online drivers license history.

Hello,

I have a quick question for Ontario driver license exchange from US driver license. I will be soft landing by end of August 2019, and want to know if the Ontario DMV actually keeps the US license with them when issuing Ontario driver license or do they issue Ontario license and return our US license along with it ?

Does exchanging US license makes sense if you are just soft landing and plan to live is USA for at least one year more?

Many thanks MovNorth community members :slight_smile:

yes, Service Ontario will keep your US license if you want to exchange it for a G license. so if you don’t plan to move immediately, avoid exchanging licenses right now.

Thank you … I got a receipt from dmv .
Hopefully that will work

Hello all,

I know it has been sometime since this thread has been updated, but was hoping you could help with some information since I am going through this is exact same situation; so would really appreciate your help.

I am moving to Toronto from California in the next few months, and have been driving in California for more than 5 years. Unfortunately (I am so sad I did not see these posts sooner) I had to renew my DL recently (only few weeks :frowning: ) . Looking at the posts I understood that if go to DMV i will only get history for the these few weeks. Just wanted to learn from your experiences and see what can be done for me to exchange to get Ontario G license. Is there any DMV form (INF 70 or 1125 etc.) which can give me the overall history? Again, really appreciate your help and time! Thanks!

@nin_ja1 I tried both INF 70 and 1125 but no luck. Called DMV customer service and they said they over write the driving history if we renew. If I were you, I would still give it a shot with both these forms and also visit a DMV in person. With my Californian license, I got a G2 license for 5 years. For G2, you will pay higher insurance compared to G. If nothing works, come here and visit different drive test centers and try to convince an agent with your driver licenses (old ones) and insurance history (from California) about your experience and see if they give you full G.

Hey @th1ru, I am surprised you got G2 with 5 years.
I had 4 year history in my CA driving extract based on previous renewal, and I was able to get G.
I think you still need 2+ years for being eligible for G, which you are.
Where the driving experience matters is at your insurance premium, because insurance companies also look at your driving abstract.

1 Like

@usa2can My latest California license had been renewed only a year earlier when I landed in Toronto. So, the driving history from 70 or 1125 showed only from my last renewal. The insurance company (TD) in Toronto still accepted my US insurance history when calculating the premium.

1 Like

Thank you so much @th1ru and @usa2can. Appreciate your responses. I will go the local DMV and try my luck and also get the insurance history. I also have my old DL’s. Regarding the local office in Ontario, I see that some of you have mentioned going to “drivetest” and some have mentioned “Service Canada”; was wondering which office should I go to once I reach Toronto?

Also seems like this depends a lot on the agent we meet, @usa2can would you mind telling me which office location you went to? Thanks again!