Driving history from US to Canada

I didn’t remember the differences. Call the NJ Mvc office in Trenton, and ask for the driving license history (if they tell you to go to a MVC in person, tell them you need the the start and end dates of the DLs in the document).

If you had a gap of even one day between an expired and renewed DL, your driving history is considered only since the day your license was renewed. I don’t know what options you have if your NJ DL expires before you can get an ON DL.

1 Like

Thanks for the help.

Hi @Neha Did you call the TX DMV to get the payment receipt? I called them multiple times but no luck on that part. Could you give me the number you tried? I have the Driving history record but no payment receipt, will the bank statement work as an alternative?

New immigrant here and I am in the process of getting my US license exchanged in Toronto. Is Canadian Address Proof mandatory for this process? I don’t have any address proof as of now. Thanks!

I recently exchanged my expired California driver’s license at the Oakville drive test center for an Ontario full G license. I had an abstract from California DMV that only showed my driving history from the last renewal date. Thankfully I had more than 2 years on the abstract. I also carried my older DLs just so I could show all my 7 years of history. They noted down the original issue date from my older DL. So, if you have the older DLs with you, carry them all. I’m not sure but the original issue date might have some bearing on insurance premium.

The one thing I was worried was that my license had expired two months back but I didn’t bring it up on my own and neither did they ask about it. So it kinda worked out in my favor but I guess it may not always be the case since they seem to specifically ask for valid licenses for exchanging. Nonetheless it’s worth trying.

Lastly, they didn’t ask for any address proof, they note down whatever address we provide, and print it on the temporary license. The original DL card is supposed to arrive in 4 to 6 weeks to this address.

1 Like

Congrats…
and As per my knowledge expired licenses are accepted for exchange within 12 months of expiry.

Hi, I am new to this community…I have moved recently to BC from California…I have submitted all my previous licence cards to ICBC to get a class 5 license BC…to get a class 4 license, ICBC is asking for an official driver’s record. I cannot go and attend in-person DMV in CA and get my official driver’s record…sent mail 3 times by filling the form INF 1125. Still, the address as per the records no one is living in that house…asked some friends to go and check, but nothing positive…so how do I get an official driver’s record to my friends home address?

Hi @bunty69

I don’t think I will be of any help for your question. I am moving from Washington. I got my driving record from the online portal of WA DoL by paying a nominal fee. Does CA have something like that?

Also can you help me out with the process for getting the class 5 license. I have not received my PR card yet. Did you use that and your US driver’s license to exchange for the BC license? Will they accept COPR given these unprecedented times? I know the ICBC website says it does not accept COPR.

What I have heard, some DMVs in California has self-service kiosks that can generate driving records. If possible, ask one of your friends to visit DMV and generate an official record using self-service kiosk, and mail that back to you in BC.

Why don’t you put in your Canadian address and have California DMV mail you your driving record here?

I am in the process of requesting a DL record from California DMV. Can anyone tell me how to pay $5 for INF1125 form? Do I need a money order?

Yes you need a money order. Get one from 7-eleven.

Insurance providers in Canada ask for the same abstract (though they accept the online version that you can download for $2). CA DMV provides the abstract only from the last renewal date. If you have your old DLs turn them over at the counter when you exchange your license in Canada so that the full duration of driving experience is recorded. The insurance companies look for this detail to determine your discounts.

In addition, they ask you for a letter of insurance history for the entire duration you owned a car from your current insurance company. If you can’t provide this letter, they treat you like a new driver which makes the premiums exorbitant. The letter should contain the duration of experience and any at-fault claims history.

2 Likes

Thank you. Did you also provide a return shipping label?

No. I got it delivered to a friend’s place in the US. And then he shipped it to my address in Canada.

How did they deliver it to your friend’s address? Any return envelope or label was provided with your form?

No. You just provide the address on the form, and they send it to that address. No return label or envelope required.

1 Like

Hi @Ontario20, sorry for the delay in replying.
I believe the bank statement works. I don’t remember the number I called on. Anyway I ended up getting a new driving record and this time I saved the payment receipt.

Did you pay $13 to get an online driving record? Does it have any validity? Did it work for you to get the license in Ontario?

Apologies for the late response. Yes I did pay that. I think the validity would be determined by the DoL if you meant for how long its valid. I got my license here in BC and it worked.