Driving history from US to Canada

Thank you!

Is there any way to find out which ones have these kiosks? Iā€™m also doubtful that they would let you get any record but your own - privacy laws etc.

Hi folks, I moved up here to BC and wasnā€™t smart enough to get the driving information from California DMV before I left. I was able to mail them the Request for Information form to get an official driving record, which has a stamp, and get it mailed back to us. Two tricks: 1) Keeping a US bank account, and writing a US check; 2) Having a US-based mailing service for delivery of the mail; they then forward it to you.

However, the California DMV sent us back a cover letter saying that they donā€™t keep old records: ā€œIt is the policy of this depart to purge and destroy older driving records each time you renew your drivers license.ā€ Thus I can only get driving record going back no more than 10 years (current and last license renewal), but I have like 20 years of driving history. My wife has even more.

Do any of you from California know how to get California DMV to issue the ENTIRE history of your license to get the maximal discount possible? Many thanks

CA DMV did not issue me old driving history either (by ā€˜oldā€™ I mean anything that was there before my last VISA approval). Luckily, I had both my old and new CA DL with me.
After coming to Canada, I showed them the new driving history, both the licenses and explained the story at the counter that CA DMV doesnā€™t issue old history records. The officer at the counter was reasonable and after checking some details on monitor (I am pretty sure that the USA and Canada somehow share driving history), she issued me G license for the full CA period. She also took my old licenses and explained that she is supposed to send them back to the USA as a part of the exchange program.

For anybody else coming from California, Iā€™m finding I have to call the DMV Information Request department at 1-916-657-8098. You press 0 then 0 again to talk to a technician.

We actually did submit a request form (INF-70?) with bold block letters hand written on it saying ā€œFIRST ISSUE LETTER DATEā€, which is supposed to give you the first date you issued your license. However they did not follow up on it. If you call them they can help you and make sure it gets done.

Sharing my experience at Drive Test Ottawa-
Moved from California to Ottawa in Nov. 2020. I got my Californiia license isssued originally in 2015, but the recent renewal date was Oct 2020. The only abstract DMV CA shared with me (after I sent them INF70) was from Oct 2020 with a letter saying that they overlay the license information with any subsequent renewals.

Went to two Ottawa Drive test locations on 16 Feb with the 4 month DMV certified extract, 5 year insurance history, uncertified abstracts (had one from 2017 as well). I did not have any old DLs with me though.

The agent at the Drive centre did not agree to the fact that DMV California doesnā€™t issue a complete history. At one point 2 agents even questioned the authenticity of the abstract I brought. They did ask me if I had an old DL which I didnā€™t unfortunately.

In the end they asked me to figure out with DMV for the full history, else settle with a G2 for which I can give the G road test ~2 years from my California license issue date.

What I understood from the 2 month proccess is that DMV Californiaā€™s process to get the abstract is quite lengthy and they donā€™t maintain the history before the latest renewal. And Drive Test is not aware of it which creates an issue for people in situation like me. I wouldnā€™t blame Drive Test too as it is difficult to believe that DMV wouldnā€™t maintain complete history. Regarless, it is what it is.

Same thing happened with me, however the difference is, I had my DL renewed in CA DMV back in 2019. So, I had 18 months worth of official experience. Additionally, I had my official copy from Maryland for a year (Maryland issues certified official copies through email, but the home of Silicone Valley doesnā€™t!!).
And I had my old CA DL with me. So, Drive Test agreed to give me full G starting from 2015.

Can anyone please tell me what documents are required to get Ontario DL? I have my US DL extract.

Take your past original DLs as well if youā€™ve them. Nothing needed for address proof. The longer your driving history, the better the insurance premiums so if you can show them proofs of your entire driving history they will note it down on your file. And this will be useful when you shop around for auto insurance.

Adding my few cents with recent experience, If you are coming from US, showing them as longer insurance history (preferably from day 1 when you bought your first car) would help to reduce your premiums. Call all your past insurance companies and ask for claims history letter from them.

Hi, I am going to relocate to Ontario from U.S. soon and wondering if I can use my expired U.S. driverā€™s license to exchange an Ontarioā€™s DL. The U.S. DL has been expired for ten months but less than one year. I have also got a driver record from DMV showing my more than two yearsā€™ driving experience in the last 3 years. Can I get a full G license or at least G2 license? Need expertsā€™ advise and help! Thanks!!!

You can get a G license. When I exchanged mine, my license had expired as well but I had more than 2 years in my abstract. Iā€™d suggest you take all your past expired DL cards so you can get your entire driving history from the US transferred to Canada. It would come handy at the time of getting auto insurance.

Hello I need some advice. I am looking to get my driver record from pen dot (Iā€™m from PA) but Iā€™m getting too many option I m not too sure which I should choose.

Option 1: download driver record online for free
Option 2: |3-Year Driver Record:|$12.00|
Option 3: 10-Year Driver Record:|$12.00|
Option 4: Full Driver History:|$12.00|
Option 5: Certified Driver Record:|$38.00|

We moved from Texas and we got the ā€œCertified 3-Year Driver Recordā€ from Texas DPS. Is a similar option available for you @Junz ? Option 2 (3-Year Driver Record) is sufficient as long as it is certified. If it isnā€™t a ā€œcertifiedā€ record, then Iā€™d highly recommend going with Option 5 since it explicitly mentions that it is certified.

Make sure you review the requirements for the specific province youā€™re moving to. I can tell you that Ontario requires at least 2-years of certified driving history in order to provide you with a full G driving license. As long as your driver record shows at least 2 or more years of ā€œcertifiedā€ driving history, you should be good.

TIP : Make sure you save a pdf of the Payment Confirmation or Receipt page. Ontario didnā€™t ask me to show one but I remember reading in other forums that it was recommended to save a copy of the payment receipt.

Thanks for the quick response.
I think I will be going for the certified option just to be safe. I will have to do it in person /mail the form to request for it. Hopefully the physical payment proof will suffice too

Thank you

I moved from Oregon where I had exchanged my california license in may 2021. My license from california was from jul 2016- jul 2020 which i was able to exchange in oregon due to the pandemic moritorium.
I had taken my california record and my Oregon license and they turned me away due to not complete record as technically i did not have a license from jul 2020 - may 2021.
I now have my Oregon record, california record and a letter saying there was a moritorium ā€¦ but isnt specific to my license ā€¦

Is this enough to exchange for a full G ?

Hi, I just moved from Austin Texas to Vancouver Canada. Iā€™m facing challenge to prove my driving history from US. I requested the form 3a and AR online through the DPS portal and took the print, also had the screenshot of my payment. However here in BC they are not accepting the printouts, they want the DPS agency to directly fax the records. I donā€™t see the options of requesting to fax through online. I tried to reach customer service, itā€™s just automated IVR, no representative is available to talk. Have any one moved from Texas to Vancouver, please can you guide how you got your license here.

Regards
Manjunath/Shalini

Hi, I just moved from Austin Texas to Vancouver Canada. Iā€™m facing challenge to prove my driving history from US. I requested the form 3a and AR online through the DPS portal and took the print, also had the screenshot of my payment. However here in BC they are not accepting the printouts, they want the DPS agency to directly fax the records. I donā€™t see the options of requesting to fax through online. I tried to reach customer service, itā€™s just automated IVR, no representative is available to talk. Have any one moved from Texas to Vancouver, please can you guide how you got your license here.

Regards
Manjunath/Shaliniā€¦