Express Entry application avoiding ECA for Bachelor's when MS highest

I liked CES because of the weight UofT carries in Canada and I used their evaluation of my M.Sc. for my application. However, their timelines are very long. Back when I applied for my ECA, they quoted me 14 weeks starting from the day they confirmed receipt of and accepted my documents. They ended up only taking 5 weeks instead, but I think I got lucky.

Jan 23, 2018: Application started
Feb 6, 2018: Application submitted and paid
Feb 8, 2018: Transcript sent (standard mail, no tracking)
Mar 22, 2018: Status updated to 1. Initial Review In Progress
2. Transcript(s) Received
3. Initial Review Complete
April 24, 2018: 4. Assessment in Progress
April 25, 2018: 5. Assessment Decision Made - digital copy emailed to me; physical copy will be sent shortly
April 27, 2018: Approved. Decision dispatched.
May 5, 2018: Documents received (US mail).​

The docs look very official and I will be using their evaluation on my resume as well. Currently their processing time is quoted at 12 weeks.

My PR was approved in July. I have thus far not been asked for any information regarding my B.A. The only information I included about it in my application was the time period and nature of my studies in my personal history and a brief mention in my Letter of Explanation stating that I did not include it in my educational history because I did not need to claim points for it.

2 Likes

Hi

I(Primary applicant) have done ECA and my spouse(secondary applicant) has not done ECA although she has a master’s degree.We have enough points with out adding her ECA…
while creating EE profile . which value should we select?

If given yes more details has to be provided

I personally didn’t have this situation so I am just speculating here. I think you need to answer Yes to this question and then when it asks whether ECA is done for this degree, you would need to select No.

1 Like

so does that mean post ITA will i be asked to present documents for the education history?
if yes will degree certificate be enough ?

Hi @northern

so post ITA, while uploading the documents do we have to upload highest degree’s certificate in educational history?

and upload bachelor’s degree certificate in personal history section?

or should i upload both in educational history even though i have provided only master’s information in educational history

Post-ITA you are not required to upload any documents for anything listed in your personal history. If you only listed your master’s degree in your educational history then that’s all you’ll need to upload documents for.

I had the same situation and I only provided my master’s degree. :slight_smile: Make sure you upload a copy of your degree as well as the accompanying ECA.

Hi

I(Primary applicant) have done ECA and my spouse(secondary applicant) has not done ECA although she has a master’s degree.We have enough points with out adding her ECA…
while creating EE profile . which value should we select?

I gave my spouse has Master’s but ECA not done
so does that mean post ITA will i be asked to present documents for the education history for spuse?
if yes will degree certificate be enough ,i dont have ECA anyways?

Hi Rival…what did you do finally. I am facing the same problem.have ECA of inly Masters. So my query is.

1. I have mentioned only my m.tech during EE file creatiion. So after getting ITA now , where I should mention my b.tech?
  2. Should I upload documents corresponding to btech ?

Hi Northern.
Need guidance…while filling EE profile, I put my M.Tech ( equivalent to Canada’s Master) as my highest education. Now after getting ITA I am filling the application form. Pls address following queries.

1. In education section, I should mention my B.Tech( bachelor) too along with M.tech ? I have got ECA of M.tech only ( as per IRC, you require ECA of highest degree) .
  2. What educational documents should I upload in education section?
  1. Educational history: M.Tech only
    Personal history: B. Tech and M.Tech
  2. Scan of your degree, scan of your ECA, scan of your language exam scores; optionally, a scan of your transcript/mark sheet(s) for your M.Tech.

One thing I need to get clarification on is did you select no ECA provided for the remain 2 degrees when creating your profile?

Hi,
I am in the same situation what did you end up doing? In the EE profile I put up both masters (ECA provided) and bachelors ( ECA not provided). Now post ITA should I remove bachelors degree altogether? Would it matter? I have checked my score on ‘ preview your score’ and it remained unchanged.
Many thanks

Hi @northern,

I received my ITA. But I did not get the ECA done for my bachelor’s degree. Got it done only for my Masters’

I wanted to ask that If I reject my ITA will I be allowed to make changes and remove my grad degree(currently mentioned under the education tab) and shift it to my personal history? And if I reject will I be eligible for the next round of cutoff?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot

How did you get an ITA without entering the ECA for the Bachelor’s degree if you had added it to the Education section? From what I remember, if the ECA is not added for a degree mentioned in the Education section, it makes the profile ineligible.

When I was asked if I have an ECA or not for my bachelors’ degree I said no.

If I reject it now, will I able to make the required changes of removing my bachelor’s degree from education tab and move it to personal tab? Will I be eligible for an ITA ?

thanks

I believe it should be fine, as you are not misrepresenting anything.
Just make sure to provide a justification in your Letter of Explanation.
with a masters degree, ECA for masters is enough.

Yeah, you should be able to remove the Bachelor’s degree from the Education tab after declining ETA. It won’t affect your CRS points so if you were above cutoff in the last draw, there are good chances of getting through in the next one as well.

Are you sure one has to decline the ITA?
the applicant should still be able to accept it and modify the profile.
If the profile modification makes you ineligible (the eligibility check will eventually fail anyway.

In this case, the applicant is sure of meeting cutoff with this modification, so I don’t see a problem with accepting the ITA. Not a lawyer, so probably should check with an expert.

Hey, so how sure are you of the bachelor’s degree to be included in the personal history section? Did you go ahead with the same and receive the PR?

What you say makes sense. Haven’t updated my profile post-ITA so I am not sure how this works.