Express Entry application avoiding ECA for Bachelor's when MS highest

Hi ,

I noticed that your application was delayed due to the missing ECA for your bachelors degree, but on the CIC website it says we only need the ECA for highest level of education. I have a Masters degree and my husband has 2 Masters, do we need ECAs for all our Masters and Bachelors degree?

Thank you in advance!

At the time I applied I knew that only the highest degree was counted. What I did not know was that in order to avoid getting all ECAs I shouldā€™ve only added the highest degree at the beginning of filling out the EE profile, and added the remaining degrees as ā€œadditional informationā€ at the end of the application. I added all three at the beginning and this meant I was counting all 3 degrees and had to get ECAs for all 3.

5 Likes

Oh wow, this information is very useful as I believe many of us have included all degrees in the beginning. Itā€™s helpful to know in advance that we need to get ECAs for all the degrees in this case. Thank you so much!

1 Like

I think you meant ECAs for all the degrees are not requiredā€¦ Only highest degree is enoughā€¦ Right or what did you mean?

If you are counting all degrees toward the points you need ECAs for all.

The confusion comes from the fact that the CIC EE application does not explicitly state on itā€™s application web page that you need to add ONLY the highest degree in this section, and then add remaining (lower) degrees in some section at the end of the application. The first ā€œEducationā€ page I saw asked for my degrees so being the honest guy I added all 3 without realizing that this would mean ECAs for all.

The actual problem is that our bachelors (if Indian) universities are bureaucratic nightmares, donā€™t have an efficient online system to order transcripts like US universities do, and are slow as snails in getting us the transcripts so itā€™s just better to avoid adding Indian bachelors ECAs. My bachelors university still uses the paleolithic ā€œChallanā€ system and took 2+ months to send the transcripts.

I am still confused Anshulā€¦

Till now it was told and assumed that we get the highest points even just with Highest degreeā€¦
Suppose we have Masters and then assume we get highest 25 pointsā€¦ Even if we add both Masters and Bachelors still we get 25 points onlyā€¦
Is that not true?

Yes yes, thatā€™s true. If you have Masters just add masters and get ECA only for that.

I was explaining what the confusion was when I was filling out my application.

Thanks for your detailed response. I went through the application form again and found no place for addition information towards the end (please see attached). I also put all my degrees in the ā€œEducationā€ section and have applied for ECA for all degree

s just in case.

Yes @avj is right points are only awarded for the highest degreeā€™s received so if you have two masters youā€™ll get points for both. If you have one then you get only get the 25 points or so.

little confusion . just to be sure @anon25417004 , we need accreditation for highest degree ,but when you submit for accreditation , you need to provide sealed transcript for graduation too ?

WES Canada informs you of the exact documents you need to submit when you are creating your profile on there this is based on where the degree is from and what type of degree it is.

1 Like

Hi @waterwater98. I have the exact same question. iā€™m not sure if i need to enter both my master and bachelors degrees in the express entry form if i only have an ECA for my Masters and not my bachelors. Also the education section of EE asks if you have completed an ECA for each degree that you enter. So cant you enter both degrees and just say ā€˜Noā€™ to the question on ā€˜Have you completed an ECA for this degreeā€™ for the entry for my bachelors degree?

I would like to know what you ended up doing in you final application. Thanks

Hi @avj We entered only Masters in the EE profile education history and also got the ECA done for the same. Now post ITA in the Education History should we mention Bachelorā€™s degree with the question on ECA completion marked as ā€˜Noā€™? Or should I not add my bachelorā€™s at all in the education history and just mention it in my Personal History? Please advise.

If you have claimed points for MASTERS, only add that in the education history.
Bachelorā€™s in the Personal history.

1 Like

Hi everyone, seems like thereā€™s a lot of confusion on this. sher.sfo is correct. Your EE profile is only for things you will be claiming points for.

If you have only had your highest degree evaluated, you should list ONLY your highest degree in your educational history (so Ph.D. or masterā€™s). Once you have received an ITA, you can add your previous degrees to your personal history in the eAPR and you will not be asked for an ECA for them.

I have a M.Sc. and B.A. I only had my M.Sc. evaluated by CES. I only listed my M.Sc. in my EE profile. Later, after I received my ITA, I listed my B.A. in my personal history (not educational history) in my eAPR. I was only ever asked to provide proof of education for my M.Sc., because that was the only thing listed in my educational history.

1 Like

Hi There, I have a question please help to clear my doubt regarding ECAā€¦

My wife had completed BCOM(3year) and MBA 2year full time(HR).

Question1: What will be the Canadian education equivalency of MBA.

Question2: if we go ahead with CES/IQAS and just evaluate Master Degreee(MBA) then will I be able to use the master degree in EE profile.

Also, which services to select for ECA by considering the delay in IQAS processing time.

Thanks

You can use the below WES tool to get an idea
https://applications.wes.org/degree-equivalency-tool/

But I will recommend going through few threads on https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/express-entry-expression-of-interest.54/

I read somewhere WES changed their policy regarding MBAā€™s recently, not sure about other Agencies.

You can definitely use the degree evaluated through CES / IQAS in the profile.

1 Like

thanks but my main concern is to evaluate master degree only or bachelor as wellā€¦

I dont want that once I create my EE profile or it gets picked up then I need to have bachelor degree assess as well.

u only need to add ur highest degree PRE ITA, and u will be asked to upload documents for that only POST ITA

only get ur masters evaluated and add only that, if u will add both of them in the education history pre ita then u need to get both of them evaluated.

Bachelors you can add to ur personal history

go through other threads on this platform to clear ur confusionā€™s

@northern How was your CES experience and what about the timelines?
After invite or later do Canada govt ask for Bachelor degree evaluation?