How to move your car from the USA to Canada?

While i understand insurance rates are higher in Canada, Are they even more for cars imported from US (read this in one of the websites)?
I have a 2012 car which is in great shape and lot of life left, which i would like to import to Canada from US. I am thinking if it is worth the hassle to import or i am better off just selling it in the US and buy another in CA.

Any suggestions/experiences welcome.

Thanks

So I checked with an Auto mover on rates and process for moving fully paid car from US to Canada, and they are quoting around 1800 + 300 for custom duty for a move from Texas to Toronto. @am1 is this close to what you might have paid?

Also, they mentioned that since I am a PR, my car would be held in a bonded warehouse and I might need anywhere from 170 - 1800 (yes note the one extra 0 here) CAD, to release it. all depending on the value of car. Does anyone know if that’s true ?

The only reason I am inclined to move my car from US to Canada is that I could get along with it for the first 5-6 months and then buy a new car once a solid credit history is build for better loan rates. To justify the move, I need to compare price of moving against renting a car in Canada for a month or two.

U$1800 is in the ballpark but you could shop around and see if you get better deals. The cars go into a bonded warehouse and we paid C$190 to release two cars.
The reason I moved the cars was that our cars had depreciated a combined value of $40k and were fully paid off and in good condition. Shipping and import costs were minor compared to what I would have had to spend (net) in selling and buying new ones. Personally I find selling/buying new car more hassle as it includes researching make/model, shopping for good deals, loans, negotiating, selling etc all the while not having a car to drive around; just my take on it, others could feel differently.

1 Like

Hi @am1 ,
Thank you for the info. I have a similar thinking and plan to import my car. I had a few questions

1. How much tax did you have to pay? I am assuming it will be based on the current value of the car (not what you paid new). So, did you quote the value of the car or is it something they have it predefined based on the age of the car?
  2. Do you know if the insurance rates are higher for cars imported from USA? Were you asked to revel that detail while buying insurance?

Thank You

Hi @G3N, np, you don’t pay any tax while importing personal vehicles as a settler (“new PR”). You do have to declare your car in GTF list and clear it through customs (tax free). There are document processing fees involved at some stages of the import process.

I haven’t heard of insurance rates being generally higher on imported cars, I don’t know really. Auto insurance is regulated by Ontario government and rates are set based on certain criteria: http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/auto/brochures/Pages/how-your-auto-insurance-rates-are-set.aspx

Thank you @am1
I found this link and it clearly mentions what you can bring along and yes, personal vehicles are tax free :slight_smile:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/mrc-drc-eng.html

@G3N, np, yes all goods and vehicles are imported tax free.

Hello, How to get the exact address and contact phone number of the port of entry selected?
Answer- found it in the RIV website.
Thanks

@G3N, that exact address would be needed after the vehicle reaches Canada, or before ?

@am1 , @G3N and others who have imported cars from US to Canada, how did you get the certification that there is no active recall on your vehicle being imported?

Thanks

You have to contact your car’s manufacturer and request a letter stating that there are no active recalls at this time.

Raise a request with your car’s manufacturing company’s customer service for the clearance letter

Got my Car import process complete today. Here is a list of all items in the process to give idea about timeline and cost involved :

• Find the right transport agency (Could charge between 1500 - 2500 USD depending on the distance and time /season. This should include the 300 USD export fee paid at US Customs.
  • Once the car reaches the bonded warehouse, your transport agent calls you and you need to go there to collect the car. Need to pay 160 CAD for this process. Actual process is explained in Anshul’s post .
  • Pay 310 + tax (~ 350 ) CAD to RIV as importation fee.
  • Wait for a day or two (or call RIV), then go to Canadian Tire
  • Pay 145 CAD for safety and standards certificate.
  • Take all the forms/title to Service Ontario and pay Title/Registration/Plate fee. You have option to pay for 3 months or 1 year and 3 months. I paid for 1y3mo and it came around 210 CAD.
    You get the plates in hand and the title/registration document.

All in all, pretty expensive process but worth it as it gives you time to look for your second car (in case not importing 2 cars from USA), and wait until you build up a decent credit score. Also helpful if you plan to buy a house first as your mortgage eligibility would be set off by roughly 150K if there is a car loan installment of 500 per month.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that info.

wrt this:

your mortgage eligibility would be set off by roughly 150K

does that mean, if I have a car loan as a new immigrant, then I’ll be eligible to get a mortgage that is approved for $150K less than what I’d be approved for, if I had no loans?

Yes that’s what I meant

1 Like

For auto insurance in Ontario, assumiing you have a clean driving record and can show insurance history for several years, the biggest factors that’ll determine how much you pay for insurance is your zipcode…

Hi usa2can,

Where did you go for the safety standards certificate inspection in Ontario. I’ve checked online and people are strongly against getting it done at Canadian Tire because cheat the customer by listing a lot of unnecessary repairs. I am looking from some recommendation in the GTA area.

Thanks!

I did go to Canadian Tire in Richmond Hill, and found the guy who inspected the car pretty genuine. Mine is a lightly driven, 7 year old sedan, so there was no repair recommended.

Hi Guys
Does anybody know if anybody can still enter Canada from the border from US by car?
Can we still take our personal car or do we need to take a rental car if somebody wants to go for a month there?
OR
Can we still import our car in current situation if we want to move car permanently there?

note: This is not for soft landing. The person already landed last year and has PR card already.

My car have currently 1 recall pending but no remedy available yet, will that will work out while importing from US to Canada. I am in assumption that my car manufacture can provide letter as they are liable for providing fix but haven’t. Please let me know your thoughts.