How to move your car from the USA to Canada?

In my case my VIN showed an open recall but since my car did not have that feature, there was no remedy.

I got a letter from the dealership stating that my car did not have feature therefore could not process the recall.

I sent this letter to Honda customer service and they issued a recall clearance letter

Ah ok thank you so much. Let me check if that is applicable to me as well.

Can you please help me understand, at which step we need to showcase the recall clearance letter?. I am using a shipper to bring my car from USA to Canada but not sure whether I need to keep the recall clearance letter in my car to showcase at border or once my car arrives at bonded facility then I need to showcase to officer. Please suggest.

1 Like

Hi we have our car on loan with a credit union here in the United States. In some other posts, I read that we could call up our Credit Union/Bank and check with them if they are okay with me getting the car into Canada and paying their installment as usual. Right now our Title is with the Credit Union since our car is on loan. Could someone please throw more light into what supporting documentation with respect to this situation? Also, we are planning to use a shipping company to transport our car into Ontario. Do we need to provide this documentation to the shipping company itself or do we need to keep this documentation with us and get it cleared from the customs in Ontario? Kindly help us out !

Have you read the fine print of your lease to see what it says about having the vehicle out of the US? The other thing to do would be to call your credit union.

As things stand technically, you donā€™t own the car. The credit union does, it would depend on their risk appetite to allow the export or not. For example, do they have the ability to repossess the car from Canada if you were to cease payments in the future?

The simplest way would be to pay your loan, have the title transferred in your name and then export it.

Hi all,

I have a peculiar situation. I paid off my car loan in full and got the lien release letter from the credit union. They hold a e-title and had transmitted lien release information to DMV. When I visited the state DMV office, they said that they cannot give the original title in person, and that the original title will be mailed along with the other titles through USPS and I should be expecting it in 15 to 20 days. But we have our move scheduled next week and so the DMV officer mentioned that I can apply for duplicate title at the Country Treasurer office and use it for shipping the car, while asking the leasing office or friends to keep a watch on the Original title that is to be arrived in post, which then can be couriered to our Canadian address. So my question is does this work? Can we use Duplicate title to ship the car? Anyone have any insights to share, much appreciated. Thanks

Hi what is the current statusā€¦ were you able to get a letter from your manufacturer that the remedy is not available on the recallā€¦ I am in the same situation. So just want to know all the options. Please let me know

Hi all,

Iā€™m trying to decide if it makes sense to sell my car in the US and buy one once in Canada or if I should keep my US car and import it. I own it outright, blue book value is around $10k. Here are some of my questions:
-what would total expenses to import it be? would this be just a flat fee or taxes too? Iā€™m moving to BC if that matters.
-what is the paperwork process like and how long does it take? I would be driving it across the boarding, not paying to transport it.
-if I chose to sell it, does anyone know if rental car companies are allowing 1 way rentals right now? I would rent in VT, USA, and ideally drop it in Vancouver, BC.
Any tips or insight is appreciated.
Thanks,
Molly

Hey @am1, just clarifying here that you were able to import a fully paid off car from US to Canada as an incoming permanent resident without taxes? Iā€™m a bit confused about taxes, some places seem to say you pay taxes and some say you donā€™t. Any insight? Thank you!

@mem1476 yes indeed, not one but two cars imported without taxes.

@am1 Congrats! Do you know why or how you were able to import without taxes? Everything Iā€™m seeing online says you wouldā€™ve had to pay 5% GST + some other tax based fees depending on the vehicle.

@mem1476 are you coming as a PR with a GTF? If your car is in the GTF form, you import it tax free (this is normal).

@am1 Ah I see. Iā€™m a bit confused on the GTF process. Iā€™ve seen some varying info online, but havenā€™t seen anything about the goods to follow on the official canada.ca website, so Iā€™m not really sure where to look to. Where did you get your info for all this?

Our plan right now is to drive across the border with our car and some belongings, settle in Canada for several months, and then at some point drive back to the US to collect the remainder of our belongings and drive them up too. Considering that we wonā€™t be shipping anything, weā€™ll just drive it all ourselves, would we still need to do the GTF form do you think?

Thanks for your help and any resources you have!
Molly

@am1 sorry, one more questionā€¦ I just got CBSA on the phone and they said I wouldnā€™t pay taxes while crossing the border would pay provincial sales tax when registering it in BC. Was this your experience too?
Thanks for your help!

@mem1476 are you coming as a permanent resident (with an approved PR application) for the first time?

Hello,
Me and my wife will be traveling to Canada later this month. We are planning to ship our vehicle to Toronto using Canadian Car shipping services (Mississauga bonded facility). As this will be our landing and we will be activating our PR, what documents do we need to self-clear and pick our vehicle from the bonded facility? We wonā€™t have a PR card yet, but we will be Permanent residents and will declare our vehicle in the GTF during landing.

Thank you!

This video helped me a lot during my car export/import process last year. I myself followed these steps and have successfully imported my car without any issues.

2 Likes

Hi all, Iā€™m moving to BC shortly from the US. My PR app is still pending due to COVID delays, so Iā€™m moving on a study permit for now so I can start a grad school program, then will transfer to PR status when my app is approved.

I have a few questions about car imports and the differences between temp/permanent importation:
-As I will be entering as a temporary resident, it seems I am exempt from importing permanently. If I import temporarily, will I be eligible to register and get insurance in Canada? Iā€™m moving to BC. The car is currently not registered or insured and is not in use in the US, so Iā€™d rather not register it there if I will need to register in Canada shortly after.
-If I import temporarily, what parts of the process do I still go through and what do I skip? Do I still do the recall clearance, form 1, export from US, etc.?
-Can I import permanently from the start so that itā€™s already done once I gain PR status? What are the financial implications of this?

Thanks to anyone that has more insight on this.

Hi Tej,

I am in similar situation now. Would be helpful to know how did you navigate this scenario.

Looking for some insights on car insurances:

1. Any recommendations on which insurer to go with in Canada ?
  2. I heard itā€™s expensive to insure car in Canada, specifically GTA. Any ballpark numbers how much per month?
1 Like