NOC Related Questions

Hey guys, I need some help in identifying the NOC skill type for my profile.

So one of the points in CRS calculator is this:

“In the last 10 years, how many total years of skilled work experience do you have?
It must have been paid, full-time (or an equal amount in part-time), and in only one occupation (NOC skill type 0, A or B).”

I tried going through the NOC list here but need some help to narrow down.

Can someone help me identify what NOC can I choose for these roles I have done in the last 10 years:

1. Software development, progmer (no idea which one to pick for this)
  2. Management consultant (this is NOC 1122, right?)
  3. Entreprenuer (no idea which one to pick for this)
  4. Product Manager (can I pick 0211 for this?)

Appreciate the help in advance.

You can pick multiple NOCs with one primary NOC and you can claim years of work experience for work that match those NOCs. For example if you decide to go with your software developer title then your NOC number is one of this list (Link Below). You will need proof for work letters for all the NOCs

Additionally the years of experience you claim must be “within the 10 years before you apply” and you can claim points of a maximum of 3 years of work outside Canada.

NOC Numbers of Software Engineer

NOC Number of Software Developer

1 Like

You can pick multiple NOCs (One primary) with at least 1 year of experience in the last 10 years.

Keep in mind there are two sets of points the first set is ensure you are eligible for FSW and the second is CRS that gets you your PR. For FSW eligibility only your primary NOC counts. For CRS you can add multiple NOCs 0/A/B but you will have to back them up with proof of work letters.

Skilled work exprience

2 Likes
  • Great, that makes sense… just 1 more thing - is there any NOC which people typically claim for entreprenuership experience? Titles that are relevant for me are founder, co-founder, etc., but could not find anything like that in the NOC list.

Just wanted to understand if there are others in a similar situation, and what they are doing for that

No worries ask as many questions as you life. I’m sure they will be useful to others too. I’m almost certain there is no NOC for entrepreneur but there are for senior management. Technically if you founded a successful company and ran it then you could claim a senior manager position.

On an related note, getting a Canadian Job offer for a NOC 00 position gives you 200 extra points on your PR application.

NOC 0013 - Senior Managers

@anon25417004
Thank you for the answers. Another question on work experience: my engineering bachelors is in Mechanical and work experience is a mix of SW product management, and IT consulting before I completed my MBA from the US in 2013-2015. My current role will be in Solutions Consulting/Architecture in a start-up in the Bay area.
My question is: for work experience purpose do we have to back that up with a related graduate and post-graduate education? I am assuming a lot of Indian professionals currently working in IT or SW have bachelors degree in non-computer science streams such as mechanical, electrical, and civil. What is your suggestion in such cases?

Work experience is not related to your education. You prove your years of work experience and that your title matches the NOC with a proof of work letter from your employer. You get separate points for your level of education.

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Great thread, Helping a lot of people with your questions and answers. I have a question. I have worked as a system analyst ( remotely { working from Australia for an Overseas Company} , minimum 20 hours per week ) Unpaid to gain experience for 3 years. Would that count ? or what documentations will I need to make this experience count.

Thank you.

Only paid experience is considered for FSW.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html#skilled

Thank you for your reply, could I ask one more question. I have received a refusal of Australian PR due to not meeting public requirements. Immigration is not satisfied with my provided unpaid work experience and has rejected my application. Would that become an issue applying for Canada?

Hi,
It would be a great help if any one could address my query.
I had completed MY CA in January 2015 and after that started job and these are as:-

1. First job for 6 months with my Principal CA on cash basis.
  2. Then another Job in a CA firm in delhi for 6 months followed by Job in industry for 5 months
  3. Then 4th Job in a reputed CA firm for 18 months followed by Job in investment banking firm for 3.5 months
  4. Currently work as credit manager in a leading bank since last 4 month’s.

My problem is though I have 3 years experience in a particular NOC but they are continued for less than 1 year expect one that i continued for 1.5 year. Also my current employment falls under different NOC. Would I be able to get points for experience of 3 years or more under express entry.
I have CLB 9 in IELTS if 3 years work-ex is considered than my points would be 462 otherwise 437.
Bit confused. Need fair advice/ comments.
I have all appointment letter along with relieving and other relevant documents to prove my experience.

NOC validation is not to see if you have one stable job. It’s a tool used my the officer to ensure your role / experience is valid in Canada. The NOC helps ensure, if given PR you would be a contributing member and not a burden to their system.

Don’t worry if you don’t have experience in one NOC for 1 year or so. Answer truthfully, you should be fine.

Hello sir,

1. Is it okay to have an employment without reference letter (job duties) as my primary NOC? Is it okay for keep linkedin profile of senior manager in notarized affidavit? He is not my reporting manager, but was one of floor managers, is that okay? Is it going to be still a risk when i have below supporting docs?

(I have 30 months of employment with the company, have all my payslips, tax returns, provident fund documents, Salary appraisals, appointment & relieving letter, official email from VP HR saying as per company policy cannot provide job duties, have the HR stating the same on a official letter head, One of my senior manager who witnessed my duties closely is willing to provide me a notarized affidavit which mentions my job duties, working hours, designation etc. He is willing to provide his business card, ID card, last pay slip and computer generated employment letter shows he is currently working there and also his linkedin profile.)

1. My employer in US while i was on H-1B, gave me a reference letter mentioning my start and end dates. However i was still employed with the same employer 4 months before start date and 4 months after end date. I was looking for consulting projects and did not get paid. My visa/status was not cancelled either. But my employer gave me a reference letter only for the months i got paid. What can i explain in personal history? Can i mention the same employer and say i was looking for projects? Will that come under misrepresentation or date conflicts? Please help me and suggest me how should i proceed.

Thank you.

Hello Vignesh,

1. Is it okay to have an employment without reference letter (job duties) as my primary NOC? Is it okay for keep linkedin profile of senior manager in notarized affidavit? He is not my reporting manager, but was one of floor managers, is that okay? Is it going to be still a risk when i have below supporting docs?

(I have 30 months of employment with the company, have all my payslips, tax returns, provident fund documents, Salary appraisals, appointment & relieving letter, official email from VP HR saying as per company policy cannot provide job duties, have the HR stating the same on a official letter head, One of my senior manager who witnessed my duties closely is willing to provide me a notarized affidavit which mentions my job duties, working hours, designation etc. He is willing to provide his business card, ID card, last pay slip and computer generated employment letter shows he is currently working there and also his linkedin profile.)

1. My employer in US while i was on H-1B, gave me a reference letter mentioning my start and end dates. However i was still employed with the same employer 4 months before start date and 4 months after end date. I was looking for consulting projects and did not get paid. My visa/status was not cancelled either. But my employer gave me a reference letter only for the months i got paid. What can i explain in personal history? Can i mention the same employer and say i was looking for projects? Will that come under misrepresentation or date conflicts? Please help me and suggest me how should i proceed.

Thank you.

Krish,

1. I don’t think LinkedIn profile can be used. I don’t understand why you would want to get LinkedIn notarized. As long as that person is your superior and can attest to your skills and answer questions IF CIC inquires, then you are fine. You don’t need anything else from him other than just a letter stating your skills and duration of work. For pay you can show the denial letter from the HR and provide pay slips.

2. I think you SHOULD mention exactly what your employer says. I do think you can include the 4 months prior and later in personal history that way you are not claiming points for those duration. You can also include a letter providing explanation if you like.

Hope this provides some clarification.

1. No. Need official proof = reference letter on letterhead as stated on CIC website. Else atleast need to show official proof (all official letters you mentioned including refusal letter: that you attempted to get this letter). Never heard of using a LinkedIn profile before.

2. Since you are not getting any benefit from shortening your period of employment, I doubt it will be seen as misrepresentation. I would recommend you put “unemployed” for that duration in which you weren’t paid.

Thanks a lot vignesh. Sorry for not being clear, i didn’t mean to get his LinkedIn profile notarised. I meant on the affidavit he will be signing for me, attesting my job duties and work hours, i would be typing his Linkedin profile link as well along with his official email, contact number etc.He is not my direct supervisor, but he was one of our floor managers and witnessed my work closely. Will that be okay? My direct supervisor has been moved into compliance dept and has denied me giving an affidavit. I have another question, I worked for this company for 30 months, and my last moth was part time. so it would 29 months full time and 1 month time part time. How do i enter this info in EE profile? How many entries should i make? Also do i need to submit a self affidavit along with my senior manager affidavit or is it not needed, just letter of explaination? If we have appointment & relieving letters, all pay slips, tax returns, salary appraisals, pf documents, HR denial letter through email and official letter head, denial from VP HR through email and affidavit from my senior manager attesting my job duties, do have a fair chance of CIC accepting it? Thanks a lot.

Thanks Anshul for the reply, Sorry for not being clear, i didn’t mean to get his LinkedIn profile notarised. I meant on the affidavit he will be signing for me, attesting my job duties and work hours, i would be typing his Linkedin profile link as well along with his official email, contact number etc.He is not my direct supervisor, but he was one of our floor managers and witnessed my work closely. Will that be okay? My direct supervisor has been moved into compliance dept and has denied me giving an affidavit. I have another question, I worked for this company for 30 months, and my last moth was part time. so it would 29 months full time and 1 month time part time. How do i enter this info in EE profile? How many entries should i make?

Count 29.5 months as full-time.

1 Like

With regard to the floor manager’s linkedin profile being added. I don’t think that makes any difference. Honestly, he is your supervisor and is willing to attest to your skills / responsibilities. As long as he can sign the letter that should be sufficient.
In my case, when I was unable to get the letter from my manager, I got it from my supervisor. He signed the letter, and gave his personal email address and phone number. That worked.

As long as you explain the reasoning for someone else signing that should be sufficient.

When in doubt - Letter of Explanation.

If you think the information you provide could confuse the officer in any way, then provide an explanation letter.

2 Likes