Primary NOC Code and impact

Hi All,
I wanted to understand the impact of the Primary NOC code in the Express Entry Process, and need your help with that.

My situation:
I am currently CEO of one company and CTO of another company. I would be running my own company once I move to Canada and won’t be needing a job. My work history is as follows:

2017-Current - CTO and CEO
2015-2017 - Director of Engineering
2014-2015 - Software Engineer
2012-2014 - CTO
2011-2012 - Senior Software Engineer
2005-2010 - Director of Engineering

What should be primary NOC code?

This is how it works. There are two sets of points in the process the first is called FSW (67 out of 100 cutoff) and the second is called CRS (Cutoff decided multiple times a year out of 1200). As an engineer you will first have to qualify for FSW before you can submit your express entry application.

Your primary NOC is the only one used for the FSW points calculation so its best you use the one that gives you the most points (Most years of experience). FSW work experience points.

1 year 9
2-3 years 11
4-5 years 13
6 or more years 15

Once your past the FSW stage and filling up the EE application you can now list all your NOCs as separate line items and you will get points for all those years of experience (3 Years max for points). Keep in mind you will need proof of work letter(s) for all those listed NOCs

In your case you can potentially use the senior manager NOC which if I recall correctly will give you more points.

1 Like

Thanks @anon25417004. Have a few more queries:

Do the 6+ years for FSW need to be in the same NOC?

Can I use the software engineer NOC for even the senior roles to keep things simple? Is there any benefit of the manager level NOC?

I am guessing I would need the proof of work letters only at ITA stage. At that stage do I need the proof for all, or just the 6 years which is sufficient to satisfy all the criteria?

Thanks!

Yes you can only pick one NOC as the primary one and this is the one used for the FSW points calculation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers.html

Your work experience must be:

• In the same type of job as your primary NOC
  • Within the last 10 years
  • Paid work (volunteer work, unpaid internships don’t count)
  • At skill type 0, or skill levels A or B of the 2016 National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • At least 1 year (1,560 hours total / 30 hours per week), continuous:
  • Full-time at 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • Wqual amount in part-time: 15 hours/week for 24 months = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)
  • Full-time at more than 1 job: 30 hours/week for 12 months at more than 1 job = 1 year full time (1,560 hours)

No using the manager level NOC does not give you any extra benefits what does help is having CLB 9 is all four language abilities. This gives you double the points for the 3 years of work experience that you get points for.

Yes all documents are only needed at the ITA stage for the application stage you only need your IELTS and ECA’s. You can get extra points for having a brother or sister in Canada who is already a PR.

Thanks @anon25417004. Final question:
Can I use Software Engineer NOC for all the Director of Engineering and CTO role?

Yes if you believe the tasks listed for Software Engg. Align with what you did.

Thanks @vignesh.pr

I also coded in my role as Director of Engineering. So if I did everything listed for Software Engineer and Software Manager, can I use either of them?

Yes if either code cover the tasks and responsibilities that you had done you can use either.

1 Like

Keep in mind the proof of work letter must be from someone who is your manager or the HR person in the firm or if you are claiming experience from your own startup then this. Also

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).

1 Like

Hello everyone, I’m a Healthcare IT Business Analyst working for a consulting firm in the US since Jan 2017. I’m about to create my Express Entry profile and would like some help regarding selecting my NOC Code.
The job duties/responsibilities when I applied for the job are as follows:

Work closely with prog management and business owners to interview, research, analyze, and derive business, functional and technical requirements.
Develop an in-depth understanding of the prog to clarify and translate requirements into functional and non-functional specifications.
Collaboration with business owners and development process.
Design and develop prototypes and test data to confirm requirements and ensure design integrity.
Create software acceptance test plans and participate in sign-off on acceptance test results.
Collaborate with business owners to understand documentation needs.
Gain an understanding of implementation issues and product improvement opportunities.

According to the job duties on the immigration website, I believe I should choose 2171 but some duties overlap with those of other codes. Also, I’ve found that as per this link: http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/NOC/NewNOC.aspx?ver=16, the Business Analyst title has been removed from the NOC Code 2171 in December 2017.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

NOC’s can be confusing but that says they have removed “IT (information technology) business analyst” from the list but “information systems business analyst” is still included. Here are the details of NOC 2171 do they match ?

2171 - Information systems analysts and consultants

1 Like

It does match somewhat. Although, if you expand to view all examples of the titles under 2171, IT Business Analyst is still there. So, is it safe to use that title or is that a glitch?
I understand that it is more important that the duties match, but my reference letter will most probably state my official title as Business Analyst.
Any way around this?

Actually, it’s not there. What you’re seeing is “information systems business analyst” not “IT (information technology) business analyst” both are different.

Information systems business analysts and consultants confer with clients to identify and document requirements, conduct business and technical studies, design, develop, integrate and implement information systems business solutions, and provide advice on information systems strategy, policy, management, security and service delivery.

Titles / Job designations will never match perfectly. Honestly as long as the job you did somewhat matches the role and you have proof of job from your company you should be good.

The main intent with CIC is to ensure your experience is in a field that exists here, against which they can allott points.

4 Likes

I have obtained Provincial Nomination earlier and had my ITA. In my Express Entry FSW Category, my NOC is 2243 - Industrial Instrument Technician as my Primary NOC.
However, due to occupation in demand for MPNP, my primary NOC is not available but I applied with a close alternative NOC 2241 - Electronic Electrical Technician with job responsibilities related to my primary NOC 2243. The two NOC is under Skill Category B and MPNP issued the Nomination certificate with NOC 2241
Now my query is, Post ITA, the Primary NOC on my PR application is showing NOC 2243, I want to ask if I should maintain this NOC 2243 and keep Work NOC as 2243 or Must i can change both Primary NOC and Work NOC to align with NOC 2241 on my PNP Nomination Certificate.
Please, note that the Employment Reference Letter I used for the MPNP has Job Titles as NOC 2243 with overlapping job duties as NOC 2241.
Am in a dilemma now with my eAPR application to CIC and need your urgent advice.

I would reach out to them explain and take their recommendation on what should be done.

Dear All, I have doubt regarding NOC selection,
I am B tech Mechanical engineering (NOC 2132) and my work experience is in merchant navy as engineer officer (NOC 2274)…can I choose my primary NOC as 2132 as it has much more chances in PNP programs …kindly advise

appreciate if anybody can advise on above query…thanks