Submitting passport for PR visa stamp

Hi all,

I received my ITA in March and submitted my application with all necessary material in early May. I would really like to attend my sister’s wedding which will be held overseas in early October. So if I choose to attend, it’s quite likely that I’ll be asked to turn in my passport for a Canadian PR visa stamp when I’m overseas. And I should add that I’ll need to get a new H1b stamp when I’m overseas in October in order to be able to return to the US. How lenient is CIC towards an extension of submitting passports for a visa stamp?

Before, Anshul has answered a similar inquiry, which I couldn’t appreciate enough. If more folks who have received their Canadian PR cards or visa stamps could share your experience, that would be great. Thanks!

I would say this is based on the officer handling your request. I would urge you to get a request for an extension in and explain the reason. If granted it will be on your file and you will get additional time to submit the passport. Keep in mind this also means you will have have less time between when you get your Visa and confirmation of PR document and the time by which you have to complete you landing since it’s based on the date of your medical checkup.

I wonder if @Fan is in India when CIC issues a PPR, then the passport can still be sent to CIC office from India and received in India? Then H-1B interview can also be scheduled accordingly?

I don’t think he would have the time to send the passport to CIC then receive it and schedule a US stamping. Thats a quite a bit of complexity. Again he’s assuming thats when he will be asked for the passport submission. I think CIC would be ok with issuing some extension as long he explains the situation and asks for it on time.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, after PPR we have 30 days to send passport to CIC (assuming they don’t give extension). The only issue I see is if the H-1B gets stuck with 221g or any administrative hurdles. Also may depend on the fact that @Fan says it’s “new H1B stamp” meaning he’s already in H1B status(?). Don’t know enough about H1B to comment on the interview.

I’m currently on an H1b status and have obtained an H1b visa stamp before but it’s expired. So if I travel overseas I will need to apply for a new stamp in order to return to the US, which might take longer to get than before due to “administrative processing”.

As far as timeline goes, all I know is it takes about 6 months to proecess a PR application. However, 6 months is only one number without capturing variation among different applicants. Could more folks share how long it took you between submitting your PR application and receiving the approval notice?

Most likely it will take 4 months to get PPR, not 6. But if I was in your position and it did take 6, and I wanted to be absolutely safe, I’d do the PPR first and then worry about H1B stamp, unless the stamp or the India trip was absolutely necessary in Dec.

I got the following message from CIC to get my PR visa stamp.

if you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada, you will need to submit the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months and have at least two blank pages. If a child is included on your passport, you must have one blank page per accompanying child. Please note that you STILL need to submit the passport even if:

o You have a valid Canadian temporary residence visa.

o You are a permanent resident of the U.S.A AND holder of passport from countries whose citizens need a visa to travel to Canada.

If you are holder of passport(s) from countries whose citizens need an eTA to travel to Canada or a holder of passport(s) from the United States, you will need to submit one photocopy of the photo page and any pages containing amendments of the passport for you and for each accompanying family member. Please do not send your original passport(s). Your passport(s) should be valid for at least 6 months.

Please note that these instructions apply to passport holders from Mexico as well, who, as of December 1, 2016 , do not require a visa to enter Canada.

In my case, my wife and I hold Indian passports but my kids hold US passports. Do I need to send only photocopy of photo page for my kids, like mentioned in the message? Or has anyone sent their kids’ US passports to CIC for PR visa stamp?
Has anyone encountered this situation?

Not sure about answer to your question but wanted to ask your timeline for different stages once you submitted the application

I’m total it took me 1 month from ITA doc submission for PPR. One week for passport to return with Canada visa document.

I submitted all my documents on June 9 and got request for passport on July 25. I got my ITA on May 9.

@vik might be able to answer this.

I think based on the description, you and spouse will need to submit passports for PR stamp and kids will have to get an eTA since they don’t need visa. However I’ll let experienced folks confirm this.

My kids are listed as dependents on the application, thats why I’m unsure how I should proceed on this. I’m leaning towards what you said @avj cos that seems logical. Will wait to here from @vik

@rgh44 Did you send kid’s original or copies for the copr? I recently received the PPR and my kids have US passports.

Sent only copies of kids’ passport for COPR

Thanks @rgh44. How long did they take to return the passports?

Do you mean you got your passport back just within a week with stamp and copr?

Where did you send it?
Can you tell total no. of days it took when you dropped it at FedEx or UPS and then when you got it back at your home after copr ?

Yes. I sent it on Tuesday. Received it on Wednesday next week. July 3 and back on July 10

Did you use FedEx or UPS?

Thanks… perhaps you are in Newyork area or nearby it?

so very short journey :smiley: