Travelling to India and getting married after AOR

Hi All,

I got my AOR on Feb 14, today I got an email asking for fingerprints for which I have booked an appointment with ASC on April 12.

My wedding got fixed in a whirlwind turn of events for April 28 for which I would be travelling to India on April 16. Along with the roundtrip back to the US, I would also be doing a week-long trip to Bali in between, finally returning back to the US late May. My fiance has completed her IELTS with an average of 7.0 (L8 R7.5 W6.5 R6.5) and is currently doing her WES document submission.

What should be my next steps as regards to communicating with CIC regarding my change of marital status and updating my travel history and any other documents after I return back to the US? Also, would I be able to add my then spouse to my profile if she gets her WES and PCC clearance handy? Will it affect my score in any way? I had a score of 441 and got my ITA on the last draw of 2018.

I am kind of confused with regards to this. To be honest I am hoping I don’t get a PPR email before I can figure out what to do about this whole development.

Any pointers to this regard which make me highly grateful of you. Looking forward to hearing your views.

Regards,
Prasan

Hi,

I am also at the same point of event. After AOR got married. Did you add your spouse before your got PPR? Can you please share the document checklist and process for adding spouse? Thank you.

I got my ppr email 5 days back and there they had asked me to reply them back if I have had a change in marital status. I hadn’t added my spouse till then as I didn’t receive my marriage certificate yet. So I replied them attaching my marriage certificate in the email asking them for further steps. I didn’t get any response it’s been 4 days since I sent it.

1 Like

Below is the email response I got. But I am not able to understand if the general application form IMM 008 should be filled by me or my spouse?

" Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

• A new Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008) with supporting documents,
  • (If applicable) A Schedule A - Background/Declaration (IMM 5669) form,
  • (If applicable) An Additional Dependants/Declaration (IMM 0008DEP) form,
  • (If applicable) A signed Additional Family Information (IMM 5406) form,
  • A copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship,
  • A copy of the family member’s valid passport,
  • Police certificates for all countries where the family member over the age of 18 has lived for more than 6 months since turning 18,
  • A letter of explanation, and
  • If applicable, the proof of payment.

Useful tips

· If you need information to fill out the forms, please consult the Fill out the forms section of the instruction guide found in the application kit that you have initially used to apply.

• If the newly eligible family member is a spouse, common-law partner or dependent child who is already a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, only a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship and a letter of explanation are required.
  • It may be impossible to add a member of your family to the application if a final decision has already been made.

We hope you will find this information helpful.

Your add-on request will be evaluated by the responsible office. You will be contacted when a decision will be made or if further information is required.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry."

What did you do to get this response? Could you please share how you contacted them?

@LP6440

I also got the same response from them after contacting them on the Webform. I see that many of the forms here are (If Applicable). Did you figure out which forms to actually fill up? Any pointers would be really appreciated.

I filled in the information in IMM0008 myself and included my spouse information there. I intend to sign the application myself.

I have not figured yet and thought to reach out on this community to get some help. I am still waiting for my spouse to get passport. Hope I get some more clarity by then.

Reaching out to them for anything is a hassle and they reply after 1 to 2 weeks. In my case I couldn’t get a clear response from them on whether or not I should send the passport for PPR stamping since I am about to add my spouse so yesterday I overnighted them the passport. It’s very confusing and CIC doesn’t really make it easy for us to get proper responses from them.

Congratulations on your wedding!

I was in a similar situation. Any change in marital status should be reported to them immediately. I do not think sending them your passport was the right thing to do - even if they end up stamping it, your martial status will read as “single” on your travel docs. Do not attempt to immigrate with those - you will be misrepresenting information and risk getting banned from entry.

Reach out to your Visa Office (whichever one emailed you the PPR request) and explain the situation to them. They will will then tell you what to do next. Do not worry about the COPR or PPR deadlines - once they process your request they will reopen your application (can confirm via CIC portal) and they’ll provide a new deadline for submitting additional docs. Each person’s case is different so make sure you ask them what needs to be provided in your case.

And… for whatever reason you cannot meet the deadline, be sure to reach out to them and request an extension.

If you’re outside Canada try calling +1-613.944.4000 to reach CIC (expect long wait times)

1 Like

Actually I tried to reach to the email ID from where I got the “Ready for Visa” email thrice and didn’t get any response. I also reached out the CPC Ottawa email address and failed. I used the webform to ask them if I should send my passport or not and I got a generic “please submit following documents” email like @lp6440 got. It was already 15 days out and I wasn’t getting any information anywhere so I sent the passport. My wife will travel to the US next week and after that I plan to send them all the docs they requested in the webform response, we have got everything ready just want to send it once wife does her international travel to US.

Also tried calling the number you mentioned and it didn’t work from Phone, Google hangouts and Skype. It kept saying can’t call this number outside Canada after gng thru IVR.

We did update them as soon as we got our marriage certificate but we never got any response back that’s why I took it step. I’m okay if they don’t stamp my passport as long as I get some clarity about the process hence I took the risk.

Since they have not asked for any specific docs, I have filled form IMM 008 with me as primary applicant and added my UCI number. Also changed my status to Married and added my wife details. I have requested for Indian PCC for my wife and will submit documents on CIC Web Form along with Marriage certificate. Hopefully I will get a better response from them if they need more docs.

1 Like

If it’s not too much to ask can we keep each other updated in this forum with regards to our progress in this? I’m waiting for my wife to travel to US this weekend before I submit the docs. She completed her PCC in PSK in India last week.

1 Like

Hey, Been busy and reviewing this forum after a while. Yes, I will keep updating the my progress here. So far applied for my wife’s PCC. Once I have it I will submit the form 008, my wife’s passport and PCC.

Any updates on your end? I submitted all my documents and havent heard anything back? Did you do any upfront medical exam for your wife?

I have submitted, IMM008 form along with my wife’s passport, pcc, degree certificate, photo, marriage certificate last week and waiting for some confirmation. I have not done my wife’s medical yet.

You can do the upfront medical exam to save time. Otherwise they will come back to you and ask for an exam (mostly the same upfront one). This will add a week or two to your total processing time.

We found out about upfront medical exam yesterday via another Facebook group and we completed hers today. @lp6440 you may also do the same for speeding up your process.

I also sent an IMM5476E form making my wife my representative so that she may contact IRCC directly on her own will.

With this I guess all I’m waiting for is biometrics letter for my wife and then hopefully a quick PPR for both of us.

Hello All, I am in the same situation and in process of adding wife to my application and I have completed below requested docs and waiting on PCC to submit all at once. I see @prasan getting his wife’s medicals done in advance even before cic requesting …How can we do that when my wife does not have her UCI number yet ? Please share details around it so i can get the medicals done too. Thanks in advance.

After applying for permanent residence under the Economic class - Adding a family member

If you are the principal applicant of a permanent residence application already in process, you could add your spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children to your application, even if they were listed as a non-accompanying dependant in the initial application.

To do so, we invite you to send your add-on request through the IRCC webform available on our website. You can attach the following forms and documents in the field reserved to that effect:

Hi @waiting1234 I just responded in your thread. I hope it helps.

Can someone please share the sample letter of explanation that needs to be sent to add spouse to the pr application?