UPS mail box for PR card

You are right decline to porovide address at airport and then update it later once the UPS mail box is created

I noticed this thread! Just wanted to let you on an update. The UPS folks can open the Mailbox remotely. They have certain CC and agreement forms which they can forward and help you with creating a mailbox remotely.
It is not a PO box. It will be a valid residential address!

Thanks
Appy

Just wanted to update on this thread. We rented a UPS mailbox(i.e with actual street address) in Canada which was used as a forwarding address for mailing our PR cards.

It worked great. We received the PR cards at the UPS mailbox and also were able to have them forwarded to our US address.

Thanks
Appy

5 Likes

Hey which location did you open. How much did they charge? How much additional charger for fwd mail ?

For anyone else with PR card blues -
There was an issue with my mailing address when I landed so it was not recorded into the system until I called them up a month later and got a new address added. Until that point they were just holding my PR card and dispatched it once they got the address.

You can just land without providing an address and add it later once you settle down. However, they may not hold your card forever, so do contact CIC and check your situation.

Also if you’re doing only a soft landing and plan to come back later, there is another option that you can consider - walk or drive across the border (US -> CA) with your passport and COPR. A PR card is required only for boarding commercial transport (airplane/bus/rail). When you make the trip cross-border yourself, you’re dealing directly with Canadian immigration. They can verify your status with the COPR and let you through.

1 Like

Hi Karry,
We rented at the UPS location (2 Toronto, https://www.theupsstore.ca/336/). They have different tier based prices.
For ex: Personal box rental (3 months -115, 6 months- 176 etc).

They charge 5$ if you want them to check the mail. Forwarding mail depends on how fast you want to receive the mail ( Eg: If you want the mail in 2 days the charge is 38$ etc).

Thanks
Appy

Thanks

Hi @appy22, I am planning to go the same route of renting a UPS mailbox & setting a mail forward to my address in US. Would you kindly address these two question that I have regarding this process.

• When did you rent the mailbox? During your initial landing by visiting the location (or) via online? If online, how?

• Did the UPS store take care of adding commercial invoice (for customs purpose) when they forwarded mail to US address (or) did you had to do anything about it?

Your response is much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Tarzart,

• We opened the mailbox around June this year. Everything was completed over phone/email.So we called the location #( From their website) and they provided us with information about different options available for renting. Additionally, they emailed us all details related as well. Post that, we selected the best option suited and send our application form, CC information, our identity proof etc. Once emailed, they allocated the mail box number and emailed us the details back.

• We did visit the location the day after we completed the landing procedure just to check the location.

• So once we got the notification that our PR cards were mailed we contacted the location to check our mails (Waited for 2 weeks before calling them). They verified the documents we received and they provided us with the forwarding options. They charged us via CC and they took care of the rest.
    Please note that there are multiple cost tiers to get it forwarded to your US address. You just have to choose based on your preference. We chose the 2 day shipping which they had available.

Hope this helps!! Good Luck! We did some research around renting a mailbox and the address they provide. They did mention its a regular street address which is accepted everywhere. When we provided this address to the landing officer, she did ask if this was a rented number. They accepted the address with no further questions.

Regards,
Appy

4 Likes

@appy22 Thank you for taking time in providing response with such great detail. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I’m surprised CIC mailed PR cards to a P.O.Box-ish address. Usually they only do residential.

Another option is to not give address during soft landing if you don’t have someone in Canada. After returning to you country of residence, apply for PRTD.

Hello Anshul,
It was a valid address with street number etc. It worked perfect!
Format
“Your Name”
Suite # ------
2 Toronto street
Toronto ON…

Regards,
Appy

1 Like

Yeah, CIC won’t mail PR cards to P.O Box. But, It’s not a P.O box . It’s a (valid looking) residential address like a few have already mentioned.

Yeah, I get that. My concern is whether they distinguish between a true residential address vs a “residential address” which is really similar to a P.O. Box. If they don’t then it’s fine. If they do and determine it’s not a residential address, then they may not send it there.

appy22
you mentioned [quote=“Karry, post:1, topic:1395, full:true”]

she did ask if this was a rented number.

What was your answer?

We said yes it was!

Just received my PR card. I did my landing in April 2020. I used UPS mailbox and everything went smoothly. I am currently in US due to COVID and got my PR by mail.
I was checking with UPS guys every week and they were very helpful. I used UPS in Calgary. Yesterday they said I received a new mail. On my CIC profile, it showed approved as well. I arranged for post forwarding yesterday and I got it today.

Thanks for all the help guys! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@sp2410 Hi, I will be moving to Canada next month permanently via Detroit(Drive). Since I don’t have permanent address yet just opened up an UPS mail box for PR cards to be delivered. Got couple of questions

• Will CBP official give us a form to fill up where PR cards to be delivered?
  • Since I will be going to AirBnB location which is different address than the UPS mailbox address which one should I tell them when they ask where are you moving to?

Thanks

On the forms (GTF etc) I added that address. Officers asked for the address and I showed them the address I had (UPS address, not AirBnb). They put that in, nothing else asked.

Hi,
I have taken the UPS mailbox service. Just want to enquire if it’s possible to get the PR card mailed outside Canada. Since my plan is to do soft landing for now and later settle.