Experience Letter - Indian IT Consulting Companies

On the topic of asking your current manager to sign the employment letter (sorry to harp on this but i think it’s quite a sensitive issue)
My company intranet points to to get a letter although doesn’t look like this will have manager’s sign. Anybody tried this/think this is a good workaround ?

Wasn’t able to open the link. One way to ask for a letter from current employer (for US employees), especially if you’re traveling outside the US is to assert the fact that CBP at PoE can ask you all kinds of job-related questions in secondary. A generic job description letter which can be used for any purpose always helps, and employers are happy to give such a letter to ensure their employees aren’t improperly deported in the current political climate :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a good suggestion. Thanks.

does it matter if letter are addressed to uscis… can we submit those letters to cic?

@avj thats a great tip. one more way to ask for a generic version of the letter is to tell HR it’s for visa purposes as getting visa’s to countries often requires letters of this type and it’s entirely possible you are traveling in the future. Also technical it is for visa purposes.

2 Likes

If it’s addressed to USCIS you can’t use it anywhere else. You can draft it yourself just say “To whom it may concern”

yeah we can draft ourself or copy the same document and just remove uscis word… but the challenge is to get it signed from the manager… even if we say its for port of entry or visa purposes still my spouse’s manager is such a person that he will not give generic letter and would say at port of entry uscis letter will work and for visa pursposes he would like to mention that country’s concerned dept name… saying this from his past dealings

Tell him/her USCIS is not equal to CBP so a generic letter is much better. “To the visa/Immigration officer” is a better term.

1 Like

I am working for Cognizant and my role is Associate - Projects here, but I am a developer. Will this match the 2173 NOC. or is there any other NOC to refer this role.

if there is no other NOC, whether the roles and responsibility will cover 2173 NOC?

I have service certificate from India which states my role as software engineer, my tenure, salary and it’s on company letter head with all details about the company, only part missing is my duties but to compensate for that I have my ex manager’s letter of recommendation he had provided when I was applying for masters in US and that letter of recommendation describes by job duties in detail and it’s on company’s letter head, will the service certificate and letter of recommendation suffice? I am yet to request for experience letter from my current organization in US, but my work experience in India was more than 3 years anyway.

What is a service certificate? Yes, as long as it’s not addressed to the university it should be fine together. Having a clear role as software engineer is pretty much what they need.

Service certificate is basically experience letter they provide after resignation, which states reason for resignation, my role(clearly states ‘software engineer’), my salary and my tenure. The certificate is not addressed to anyone although the letter of recommendation from my ex manager which states my duties is addressed to university which I see won’t work. I guess I will just go ahead with service certificate then.

Does it state “duties and responsibilities”? If your manager gives a fresh letter as requested by CIC with the duties and responsibilities info then that’ll be icing on the cake. However if you’re not able to get this from your manager it doesn’t hurt to add the old manager letter in your letter of explanation stating why you were not able to get the detailed letter.

Nope the service certificate doesn’t enlist duties/responsibilities but it clearly states my title ‘Software Engineer’ and my tenure of more than 3 years. I don’t think it would be possible for me to get letter listing my duties from my old organization since it’s been 4 years since I left that organization, not sure who and how I approach anyone about this, also my ex manager has also left the organization, but as stated in one of his posts if title matches NOC title in experience letter then that should suffice right ?

@anon25417004 or @avj any comment on my question. Thanks in advance

Your duties and responsibilities as stated in your reference letter that you will get should match the duties and responsibilities stated under NOC 2173. If that matches the actual title has little impact.
I remember 2172 and 2173 being closest to S/w engg. Check them to make sure.

1 Like

I have two experience letters from my old employer dated 2015. One letter is just an employment verification letter that states the duration of employment, designation, salary, job type. The other letter describes my job responsibilities. I got those letters when I left the company. Are those sufficient or do the letters have to be recent ?

2173 might be a close match for you. As @avj mentioned, make sure your responsibilities match the ones stated under the NOC.

@sourabh.deshkulkarni, does either of the letters mention the duties/responsibilities? The experience letter needs to state these. Only specifying the title would not help.

Those should be sufficient. It would be helpful if it was all in a single letter but you can probably scan it in as a single PDF and upload. The 2015 date should be alright.

1 Like