Movers recommendation from California to Toronto

Hello all,

I am relocating from the San Jose, CA to Toronto, ON and would really appreciate some recommendations for affordable and reliable movers that any of you might have used in the recent past for USA (Bay area) -> Canada move. I live in a one bedroom apartment and have the usual furniture, TV, clothes mix of things. I would really appreciate it you could mention a ballpark figure of how much it cost you so that I can better assess my position. Thank you very much and really appreciate your help and time very much!

Here is a link to my answer to a previous post.

Since you are in California (and if you are not planning U-Haul, or U-Pack), then there is another option I almost committed to. I know a mover friend of mine based in San Diego, and he can move your stuff upto the US border. From there, you could either U-haul or get a Canadian mover to ship. It does need some coordination, and was a little bit overwhelming for me with 2 kids. So we opted out of it. If you wish to explore this, let me know and I can connect you to my friend.

1 Like

Thanks @usa2can!

This is useful! Just wanted to check if you by chance happen to recollect if they charged you by the pound and if they included full value coverage insurance for the items in this amount. Also, did they have like a minimum weight they charge for? Thanks!

Since you are in California (and if you are not planning U-Haul, or U-Pack), then there is another option I almost committed to. I know a mover friend of mine based in San Diego, and he can move your stuff upto the US border. From there, you could either U-haul or get a Canadian mover to ship. It does need some coordination, and was a little bit overwhelming for me with 2 kids. So we opted out of it. If you wish to explore this, let me know and I can connect you to my friend.

Yeah, this might be a bit overwhelming to coordinate for myself as well. But thank for letting me know!

1 Like

I think it was all by Volume. All big international movers have a fixed size of container, and there is a ratio of ~ 7:1 to the volume to weight in lbs. a typical 2 bedroom is around 700-800 cu ft and converts to around 4500 lbs.

As long as your stuff is within this range, you pay the amount you signed for.
Make sure your contract is binded.

They will also provide you insurance options, and it’s not very expensive, around 200-300 USD.

1 Like

Thanks @usa2can! Appreciate the information and suggestions!

I called Atlas, but for some reason they have not reached back to get a quote. Will try again, in the meanwhile, just wanted to check-in again to see if you any has any more recommendations for movers?
The biggest issue I’m facing is that the ones I have tried till now (Mayflower & United Van Lines) have a 3400 lbs minimum and I am well below that limit, so the cost comes up quite high for me.

Appreciate your suggestions and time! Thanks!

1 Like

try QMM (quality movers and packers). They are canadian based and have collaboration with allied.

They were my next choice.

2 Likes

Thanks @usa2can, will reach out to them!

Hi nin_ja1,
finally which mover you finalized and how was your experience. I am also sailing in the same boat. I don’t have stuff more 20 boxes . Whom do you suggest?

Just for my understanding, can you please suggest how you weighed your items. I am not understanding how to decide that

HI @kanishk.soni

Can you share your experience with whom you went with and how was your experience. We are next in the row :slight_smile:

Hey @usa2can , Trust you are doing good. Can you please connect me with your San diego friend who canhelp move stuff till US border. This option might work for me.

Thanks,
Ps4848

Sure, please share your email id and I will connect you .

Planning a move shortly from California to Toronto and we’re in the process of finalizing our movers. Had a quick question - the CBSA officer at the time of our soft landing had mentioned that we’d need to carry appropriate documents (especially for jewelry) and make sure to cross the border along with the movers while moving permanently.

Now, is there a requirement for us to time our move along with the movers? From what I understand, there can potentially be shipment delays, so if i were to book with someone like Atlas Van Lines, would I be required to be present at the border while my shipment arrives?

I was under the impression that Atlas would unload and hold our items at a warehouse and we’d need to clear them from customs with the right forms. Could anyone please clarify?

cc: @usa2can, @nin_ja1

You don’t have to time your move exactly at the same time as the mover.
Mover would ask you to visit the warehouse/customs office in toronto on Dixie Road, when they reach there. so plan to be around there within 24 hours of when your mover calls you. Otherwise they will start charging you for storage depending on your contract.

1 Like

Makes sense, thank you for clarifying, @usa2can.

I moved last month from Bay Area to Toronto and was looking for quotes around May timeframe for July move. Allied gave me 12K USD quote. I tried to contact others like Atlas but never got a call back. I imagine it would have been at the same cost ballpark.

I opted to ship my stuff with PODS which cost 4400 USD for 8’ container (would have been 5400 for 16’ container). I hired loaders/unloaders at both ends that cost me 1200 USD. So 5600 USD overall. I went to the PODS service center at both ends with the loaders/unloaders. If there is a possibility of parking the PODS near your house/apartment, that will save you a few hundred dollars.

Upack was around 1000 USD more I think. Overall, I think PODS or Upack would be significantly cheaper than full service.

If you ship with PODS, you don’t have to go to customs within 24 hours. The PODS is kept in the PODS bonded warehouse facility, not at the customs location. I went to the customs 3 days later and it was fine (no per day charge).

I imagine it’s different for full service movers who may have the 24 hour requirement.

For car shipping, you definitely have to go to customs same day after you get a call as the car is parked at the customs facility.

Thank you for the update, @arjun-humain . We are moving from the Bay Area in the next month and we’ve been looking to finalize movers. Unfortunately, like you mentioned, both Allied and Atlas provided a quote that were on the higher end.