URGENT Corona Virus Impact on Landing

@Wally20 Is it by phone?

• Nope
  • Done when you arrive?
  • Yup
  • What do they ask for?
  • Goods to follow and goods accompanying(with your address where the PR has to be mailed, passport, COPR docs, Updated Proof of funds
  • Do they verify funds?
  • In my case, the officer just brushed through it. Might be case by case.
  • How long does it take?
  • Half an hour I think
  • What type is of quarantine plan you should have? Can temporary hotel or Airbnb reservations be accepted?
    If you can find an Airbnb, get one. You have to stay there for at least 14 days without going out. And that’s a strict rule or you will be charged 3 years imprisonment if they find out. Airbnb is better bcoz you have a kitchen and washer dryer in the room and can cook and save money + they have a fridge. I bought all the groceries I will need for 14 days before going in and then just stayed in there. I also carried a lot of dry food items with me in my checked luggage.
    So maybe also prepare a grocery list so you can take it head in the grocery store before locking yourself in. Better if you can order or ask a friend to help.
    Also, carry masks, cough syrup, hand sanitizer, hand liquid soaps, a few towels, and gloves while traveling. You have to protect yourself as well.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. Your information was very helpful. What is the updated proof of funds? Do I need official letter from the bank or I can print online statement or print my current balance from my bank online? Someone said we have to do biometric for COPR is that true? Do we have to do the biometric again before we land or at the border entry? I am assuming the CoPR docs details will be listed on the CoPR letter ( the CoPR itself, passport, fund update)? Thanks again

If you already got your COPR and did your biometric, then I don’t think so. I didn’t but I am also not aware of it neither had to.
Updated proof of funds - I did get on the bank letter + attached 6 month statement for all banks.

Hi, thank you for all your information. It is extremely helpful.

I had a question on the customs and entry in the US. Was your visa(AVR) verified prior to boarding the flight in Canada? And, if yes, then were you asked any additional questions/documentation after landing in the US before exiting the CBP area.

Bro,
Quick question. When you were flying from Canada to US, where you questioned regarding your Visa Status in Canada before you board the flight? And did you carry your PRTD in your hand if in case any goes wrong for you to re enter in to Canada? Where you have to explain about the option of exercising the AVR for you re entry?

Thanks in Advance for your reply.

Hi all, first of all thanks a lot for keeping this community active. I am new to this community but got very good insights reading through many informative posts. Coming to my question … I got my COPR and PRV on 20th Feb and is set to expire on 21st July. Initially planned the trip to my city of destination (as per my COPR) Toronto on 21st March, but due to Covid scare I had to cancel it during that time. Now that time is running out, I am planning to drive to the nearest border(From Omaha, NE, USA) in Pembina-Emerson and stay for 14 days in Winnipeg, Manitoba as part of self-quarantine process. I even booked an Airbnb for 15 days from first week of July. But now when I am going through some posts in other blogs and websites, I got to know about this thing that we need to land in the city of destination mentioned in the COPR… how true is this statement? By the way I have never applied to any PNP programs and this PR approval is obtained through regular Express entry. Will it cause a problem if I show my Winnipeg Airbnb self quarantine plan to the border officer claiming that I would be moving to Toronto after the quarantine period ? First of all will I be allowed to enter through different port of entry than what was mentioned in my COPR. Need your guidance regarding this. I really appreciate it. Thanks in advance :slightly_smiling_face:

When flying from Canada to US you will mostly go through CBP pre-clearance in Canada which means you’ll be physically in Canada but immigration will happen before you even go to your gate. Also, CBP doesn’t care about your Canadian status, they care that you have one in the US.

If your PR is not through PNP, my understanding is that you can land anywhere

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Guys, really appreciate the insights! Please advise if one could stay at a hotel of if AirBnB is preferred?

Also, do we have to have a documented quarantine plan and is it acceptable to have PR card shipped to a different address than the one you are going to be quarantining at?

we are planning to travel next week and would really appreciate your response. Thanks in advance

I have not read of any documentation requirement for self-quarantine on IRCC website, but it might not hurt to check again.

Any hotel or AirBNB that is accepting guests for two weeks should be ok. Maybe carry this documentation to show you have a plan in place. Note that quarantine plan involves not only place to stay, but also food, groceries etc. Ensure that you have thought of something in that regard.

If you’re a family, it might actually be beneficial for primary applicant to land first and stay for two weeks and secondary applicants to land later so primary can go out and do the needful.

All this sounds very complicated because it is. You’re strictly required to stay isolated for two weeks and fines for violations could be steep.

Thanks for the reply. I am planning to exercise AVR option to get into US. I will have all the documents necessary to get through AVR process. But by some means with the Immigration situation going around If the CBP pre-clearance stops me from moving forward, will I be able to be back in to Canada without having a PRTD document in hand? As you mentioned I am physically inside Canada.

Thanks for your reply in advance and for all your previous reply. Yours were more detailed and reliable. Thanks always.

Hi, everyone, first thank you guys for building this forum. My family is in San Francisco now, and my CoPR expires in November. My plan had been landing in Toronto in July. My question is about the “essential travel” test.

I received an email from IRCC saying:
“If your PR application was approved you are allowed to travel to Canada if it is not for an optional or discretionary purpose. Please be aware that airlines have the discretion to allow passengers to board flights and once arrived in Canada, border services officers make a final determination on your entry into Canada.”

Frankly, the purpose of our landing trip is to obtain PR before our CoPR expires. We haven’t found a job yet so we’ll look for jobs, if conditions permit. We’ll also be applying for H1b visa, since we’re expected to return anyway.

Are this purpose considered essential? Our US visa also had expired, so we’ll not be able to go back to US if we’re denied entry.

Thank you very much!

@sp2410,could you please confirm if you were asked to “justify” travel? sounds like you landed in Canada to validate your PR (apologies, if I misunderstood).

my CoPR expires at the end of the month and we are planning to travel this week/next…Appreciate any feedback to assist during these crazy times!

At CBP pre clearance you’re still in physically in Canada on Canadian soil. After pre clearance is done you’re still physically in Canada but technically on US soil. Which means if they refuse entry for whatever reason, you’re still in Canada and all you need to do is go back out of security and retrieve you’re check in luggage.

1. CiC has an entire webpage devoted to landing for new permanent residents. To summarize, if your PR was approved before March 14th you’re exempt from travel restrictions. If it’s after that and your PR visa is expiring please contact IRCC.

2. Even if your US visa expired you can use AVR to enter on expire visa but valid I797

A bunch of other posts have asked these questions multiple times, I would encourage you to go through them first

Hi, first of all thanks for your reply! Your reply is really helpful, and does make me feel much safer to travel. I may be just worrying too much.
I did read the Canada official webpages as well as the posts, but I just felt that they always attached the term “for essential purpose” after saying valid CoPR holders are allowed to travel. So I am just feeling not 100% sure whether a border officer would determine my landing journey not essential.

@Immigrant-Life - Curious what your travel plans are? Looks like you are flying in, finishing up the formalities, airbnb-ing for 14 days and getting back?

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes, we landed last week and are quarantining here in Toronto.

Has anyone done a landing with rental car recently?

Was wondering if it would be okay to just drop off the rental car with key dropbox after hours (no contact with anyone) near the place of quarantine (around 5 mins away).